1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

2-in-1 laptop/tablet for LR editing

Discussion in 'Equipment & Services Talk' started by tez3003, Apr 19, 2017 at 1:02 AM.

1. tez3003

tez3003 New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Hi, looking for a portable to do LR editing. Been looking at HP Spectre x360 15 as like the idea of being able to edit in tablet mode with stylus. Views?

2. Ian.B

Ian.B Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    all depends how seriously do you take your photography and editing ?
    The Gurus will tell us we need to calibrate our monitors ---- have our monitors at the same angle ---- edit our photos only in the same light so that means we should not have too much, or any natural light in the room
    I use a monitor and not the not the lappy --- but I often have variable natural light -- my monitor is "calibrated" by eye only --- but then I don't take or need to take my photography over seriously these days

the point here being that a tablet or 2 in 1 would be IMO worse than my current set up . table / 2-1 would great for convenience but may not be practical for serious edited . Bit like in pre-digital days I was thinking how good it would be to have the computer set so to look outside at the garden . Doesn't work like that so I soon found out. Digital editing is so different to most ways computers are used

Having said all that; my daughter does OK with her ipad thing (??) .
    it all depends how seriously do you/she/me take our photography and editing ; but a tablet would have to be better than a phone haha

3. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.9 / CC 2015.9
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I can't comment on the HP Spectre. However. I know that the Microsoft Surface will do what you wish. It has been my experience that a stylus is superfluous and likely not to get used as often as you are now anticipating. (Fingers work quite well on a touch screen)