Auto Import from other applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Laubenthal

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I think I've figured out the only decent workaround for this problem but wanted to make sure I haven't missed the obvious.

I run LR CC 2015 up to date on a MacBook Pro with my catalog on the local drive and the images over on a network volume.

When I edit an image from LR in Bridge or Photoshop or some other apps (Snapheal and ON1 for instance)…the final edited image comes back into LR automatically. For my HDR processed images…done with up to date Photomatix Pro v6…the final image doesn't go back into LR and I have to save it then import separately.

The only way I've found to get it to auto import is using LR's watched folder and auto import setup…but that won't work to a network volume. So I have to let it auto import and then move the original image file to the correct year/month folder out on my network storage volume.

I've tried saving the final image back to the year/month folder directly from Photomatix and then rescanning the folder in the Library module…which works and imports the image but isn't really any less work than using the auto import watched folder function and moving it.

Is there something I'm missing or is this really the only way to get the final images back in?

Welcome to the forum. I think the reason that this does not automatically import into LR is because the HDR image is a composite of (usually) three or more sources. The composition image is in effect a new image and not related in any way to any file in Lightroom. I have a similar issue with Zerene focus stacker app. I call Zerene Stacker and pass any number of LR images to the app. The resulting composite is saved in my watched folder and LR automatically imports the new composite. I am able to do this with Zerene Stacker because I can run an Script in Zerene stacker and the composition is named uniquely and saves in my Watch folder. Zerene stacker has a LR plugin that generates TIFF files in the Temp folder, so I do not create any lasting intermediate files in LR or anywhere else.

So, yes you are doing it the most efficient way possible for your external HDR editor.

No, it's not the most effective way. Photomatix has a plugin that doesn't show under 'Edit in...' as an external editor, but as an export plugin. If you use that plugin to send the images to the Photomatix app, the resulting HDR can come back into Lightroom without having to use the 'watch folder' method. The plugin has a special option for that.

PM.jpg

Cletus and Johan…thanks much. I had not notice the Export to Photomatix option when I installed v6.0…I just set it up as an external editor like it used to be with v5. Having the ability to auto reimport back into LR is a much simpler workflow.

Thanks Johan…I had installed the plug-in back with v5 as well but never noticed it under the Export options…I have been using Open in and then reimporting the final images back when done. The Export/reimport feature is way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back