Basic preset question

• Thread starter Deleted member 39308
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 39308

I think I have missed something so hoping somebody can help with a basic preset workflow question please.

I have a set of smart collections that group photos by ISO value: e.g. 100-399, 400-1000, > 1000

I have done some work to save a nice set of sharpening and noise reduction presets for each ISO range.

I had hoped to select all photos in a smart collection and click on the appropriate preset, but I was defeated. In the library view develop presets are not available and in develop module I have the presets, but only have one photo.

I must be missing something somewhere....

In Library view, presets are available. They can be applied in the Quick Edit panel. In the Develop Module, you can apply a preset to the most selected photo, and then synchronize the edits over all other selected photos.

Thanks Johan

I found my presets under the Quick Edit panel. Must admit I found that panel a bit of a waste of space and had turned it off. At least I have access to my presets now but I still find that Quick Edit panel ugly to use.

I had hoped I could select several photos and click on a preset to apply to all in the Develop module, the synchronise approach seems to add extra unnecessary steps.

The Quick Develop panel is one of the more powerful (and underused) sections of Lightroom. It is designed around a specific set of purposes - that of visually working with many images at once with a combination of traditional Develop module presets and Basic panel adjustments. Additionally, it is the only place in Lightroom where Relative Adjustments can be performed.

I had hoped I could select several photos and click on a preset to apply to all in the Develop module, the synchronise approach seems to add extra unnecessary steps.

You can do that by turning on AutoSync in the Develop module, that way any edit you apply to the currently active image in the Loupe will also be applied to any other images selected in the filmstrip. But be careful with Autosync, it's easy to forget that it's on and then you wonder why some of your images have changed.

Another reason to be careful with AutoSync is that it will sync those edits that you checked the last time you used normal Sync (and got that dialog box were you can check the edits you want to sync). So you could easily sync an edit you didn't intent to sync, or not sync an edit you did intent to sync.

Good discussion on the +ve and -ve of AutoSync. From a usability perspective it seems logical to me that clicking on a preset in the Develop module worked the same way whether just one or more than one photo was selected. Maybe somebody from the Adobe UX team could investigate?

Many thanks to the help on this forum. I have a way forward in that I have settled on using that horrible looking Quick Edit panel, I still shudder every time I open it.

Good discussion on the +ve and -ve of AutoSync. From a usability perspective it seems logical to me that clicking on a preset in the Develop module worked the same way whether just one or more than one photo was selected. Maybe somebody from the Adobe UX team could investigate?

Many thanks to the help on this forum. I have a way forward in that I have settled on using that horrible looking Quick Edit panel, I still shudder every time I open it.

What is the problem with QuickEdit?

Tim

Good discussion on the +ve and -ve of AutoSync. From a usability perspective it seems logical to me that clicking on a preset in the Develop module worked the same way whether just one or more than one photo was selected.

It does and always has. Clicking a preset in the Develop module is like making a manual adjustment. Unless AutoSync is checked, only the current image will be changed.

In the Develop Module, all you can do is set adjustments to specific values. In the Quick Develop Panel, you can change the adjustment up or down relative to whatever value is already set.

Can you expand on that a bit please? I have to confess that I never use the Quick Develop panel. :confused:

If you click on Increase Exposure, for example, then the exposure setting of all selected images will be increased by a certain amount. Regardless of what that setting already was. So an image without a previous exposure correction may become +0.3 now, and an image with an existing exposure setting of 0.5 becomes 0.8. That is different from syncing images in the develop module, because that will apply a fixed setting to all images and discards any existing settings.

I think I've got you with regard to syncing multiple images, I was thinking of single images where, for example, +1 stop of exposure in the Library Panel is surely the same as +1 stop of exposure in the Develop Panel?

I think I've got you with regard to syncing multiple images, I was thinking of single images where, for example, +1 stop of exposure in the Library Panel is surely the same as +1 stop of exposure in the Develop Panel?

If you apply a preset, then yes. But if you use the > and >> buttons to increase the exposure one stop in the Quick Develop panel, then then no. As already explained, adding +1 stop Exposure in the Quick Develop panel will add that to any existing Exposure setting, so it is a relative adjustment.

The idea behind it is quite logical: you look at a number of images. You think they are too dark. So you select them all and press the > button to increase the exposure. That will happen to all selected images, regardless of whether they already had a correction or not. Just like you would expect to happen.

Just imagine that the Quick Develop panel would not work this way, but work the same way as synching. That would mean that you could select a few images, click the > button to increase their exposure, and then to your surprise one or more images would actually get darker! Why? Because if they had already been corrected +1.5 stops previously, your +1 stop correction would actually be less...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back