• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Crazy stuff going on with color label sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

eschurr

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Operating System: Win 10
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): LR Classic CC 7.0.1

I'm trying to do two related things:

1. Edit and save my custom color label set.
2. Determine when LR saves the label set and ensure that my backup program determines the file has been changed.

My presets are stored in the default location.

1. I'm trying to change "Yellow" to "Yellow (ready to edit)". I go to Metadata-->Color Label Set-->Edit and change the value and hit "change." I've done this a couple of times using a few different label sets and (I know this sounds crazy) and here's what happens: I hit "change" and the label set says "edited." If i click on the color in the grid view the changed label is displayed (good). But if i go back to re-edit the label set the changes are gone (bad!). I also tried making the change, confirming that it was changed by clicking on the color, and exiting LR. When i come back the change is gone (bad again!).

2. When does LR save the changes to the preset folder? The "date modified" attribute on the file with my label set name doesn't change when i edit the label set either when LR is open or when i close it.

I suspect that LR isn't updating the preset file, and that's why when i go to re-edit the set or close-and-reopen LR the changes aren't saved and the "date modified" file attribute is unchanged.

Didn't you save the edited labels as a new preset?

Didn't you save the edited labels as a new preset?

i tried two different things:

1. i tried updating an existing custom label set. the changes don't seem to save persistently.
2. I created a new label set. LR created a new file with the name of the new label set. But when i try to update it, the changes don't save persistently.

i experimented with creating and updating a develop preset. the changes seem to be written to the file immediately after the change and stay persistent.

In contrast to many other presets, there doesn't seem to be an 'update this preset with the current settings' option in the label presets. You have to create a new one each time you want to change it. Of course you can delete the old one first, so you can keep using the same name. Or delete the old one later and then rename the new one.

You're right. However, there is an "edit" option and a button that says "change" after the edit is complete. And the edit seems to take effect as long as LR is still running and you don't attempt to re-edit the label set (i'm guessing the label set is retained in memory). What you suggest would be a good workaround, but i'm wondering if what i'm experiencing is a bug.

Got it. Just two thoughts:

1. there is a "change" button on the dialog in which one edits the label sets. that implies that you can make a change and retain it.
2. It sure seems odd that the only way to edit a label set is to create a new one!

I also tried editing my custom keyword sets, and i'm getting the same (poor) results as with the color label sets. I can create and save a new set, but i can't seem to persistently update the keyword set. It uses the same form of dialog as the color label set (edit...change) so i wonder if both are experiencing bugs?

Color Label Sets such as the 3 defaults can be renamed, or even deleted. When you choose "Edit" from the dropdown list LR opens an Edit dialog showing the currently selected Color Label Set. At this point you can choose to Edit any of the existing Color Label Sets and proceed to make changes to the Label fields. When you tab out of one of the Table fields the currently selected Color Label Set named in the Dropdown is modified from "[currently selected Color Label Set name]" to "[currently selected Color Label Set name] (edited)" NOTE this currently selected Color Label Set name is NOT saved (yet). The buttons at the bottom are {Cancel} and {Change}. The latter is perhaps misnamed since clicking this does not Save it. Before you press the {Change} button, you must first enter the top dropDownList and choose "Save Current Settings as a New Preset" or "Update Preset [currently selected Color Label Set name]"
There is no bug here. But the double use of the main dropDownListBox is obtuse at first use. However. Lightroom uses this mode of accessing the Presets for edit everywhere. The Color Label Set is just one example.

Last edited:
Cletus, you've done it once again! Thanks for your VERY helpful reply. This works and it does exactly what I need. It is a bit confusing that LR works this way, IMHO, and it seems they could make it more intuitive, but now that i know how it works it's only a minor point.

THANK YOU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back