Crop of a Crop (4x6 to 5x7) without Automatic Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

EOTB2017

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
4.x
My camera shoots 4x6 images. I usually edit them at this original aspect ratio, and there's usually some cropping.

Sometimes I want to make 5x7 greeting cards or 8x10 enlargements, so I go to change the ratio from 4x6 to 5x7 or 8x10. Lightroom changes it, but first resets the crop to the original full image.

How do you prevent that full reset so there's only one more step to get from the cropped 4x6 to 5x7 or 8x10?

Whenever the crop tool is activated in Lightroom the crop ratio defaults to the aspect ratio of the full image. To my knowledge, there isn't any way to change that. There have been a number of users who have requested that this functions differently. There is a forum where the developers monitor and pay close attention to what is discussed and requested. Here is the link where you can make your suggestion:
Photoshop Family Customer Community

An indirect way if you want to crop a bunch of images to the same aspect is crop one, copy just the crop aspect to all the others. This will put it in the same place on all of them, which is likely wrong, but it will be set to the right aspect ratio and you can just go from shot to shot and move it around.

You can also select all the 5x7s, for example, and crop them as a group using the Library module's Quick Develop panel. Then, as Linwood suggests, you can revisit the crop position on a shot-by-shot basis.

An indirect way if you want to crop a bunch of images to the same aspect is crop one, copy just the crop aspect to all the others. This will put it in the same place on all of them, which is likely wrong, but it will be set to the right aspect ratio and you can just go from shot to shot and move it around.

This worked just as needed. I can't believe I missed it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back