1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

date/time adjustment for NEFs, when some NEFs for that day have correct date/time

Discussion in 'Workflow Discussion' started by PhilBurton, Sep 13, 2017.

1. PhilBurton

PhilBurton Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Due to a weird situation with my Nikon D3, I found that some of my photos from a recent shoot were dated 2007, and the rest properly 2017/month/date. After digging through the entire set of files, over a week of shooting, I noticed that for several different days, the day's shooting was a mixture of 2007-dated images and 2017-dated images. Other days were all 2017-dated files.

So what is the best way to end up with the correct date/time for all the images, for all the affected days?
    I would be using EXIFTool either standalone outside LR, or inside LR with John B. EXIF interface plug-in. If I can get other applications to recognize the correct date/time, that would be a plus.

Should the correct date/time be written only to the catalog (and XMP files)? Or change the files' date/time to get the correct date/time sort within Windows? Should the correct date/time be written to the NEF files?

Outside LR? Inside LR?

Phil Burton

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Senior Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    When I have had files with incorrect datrs/times, I have used EXIF tool w/GIU to change all three dates/times of the raw file before importing into LR. It has always worked well for me and Windows File Explorer. Of course, YMMV.

--Ken

3. LouieSherwin

LouieSherwin Senior Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Phil,

Metadata -> Edit Capture Time... may be all you need and it is the simplest. It has an option to write back into the raw files as well. It does not correct all metadata dates but the important ones that Lightroom uses for filtering. If you rename your files on import as I do then you will want to change the 2007 to 2017 for the effected files as well.

If you want to to a more thorough job correcting all the dates then exiftool is the answer and I think that the easiest way to use it is with the CaptureTime to EXIF. You have the full power of exiftool directly accessible from Lightroom. Read the instructions carefully as you can accidentally erase metadata previously entered into Lightroom.

In either case I recommend that you first create a collection of all the images that you need to update.

-louie

4. PhilBurton

PhilBurton Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Louie (and JB)

So I bought Capture Time to EXIF and installed it in my Lightroom. The plug-in shows up in the Lightroom Plug-in Manager, but I can't find this plug-in in Plug-in Extras. I even downloaded the Usage instructions :alien:, which said:

3. Run the plug-in
    Use the menu item Library > Plug-In Extras > Capture Time to Exif

But I simply could not fine the Capture Time to Exif menu item. What should I do?

Phil Burton

5. LouieSherwin

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Are you sure that you are looking under the Library menu and not the File menu as it only appears in the Library menu. Even then the actual menu item is "Save Capture Time". Plug-in authors have the choice to use either or both menus.

-louie

6. PhilBurton

PhilBurton Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Louie,

Thanks. I followed your explanation and indeed I found that plug-in. Good.

Additional question. If I understand the interface correctly, the new date/time is applied to ALL selected files. I'm interested in an offset for all files dated 2007, that is ten years, three months, but SHIFT the date/time by a given amount from the time in the EXIF data for all selected files. Is that possible, or do I need to modify one file at a time?

Phil

7. LouieSherwin

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Ok I forgot that this plug-in does not directly offer a time zone shift as the Edit Capture Time in Lightroom does. You can do it but it is a bit more involved. But I'm thinking that timezone shift won't even work because we're not dealing with hours but years and months difference.

You will have to dig in to exiftool documentation to see the best way to accomplish this. This will be true whether you use the Capture Time to EXIF plug-in or try to use exiftool from the command line. Perhaps someone else can also help figure out the necessary exiftool options to accomplish your goal.

Regardless test, test, test.... I strongly recommend exporting a catalog with a good sample of images that you need to adjust. When you do so be sure to check include negative files. This will create a standalone test area where you don't have to worry about any mistake messing up the rest of your images. You can run your tests there and recreate with another export if it doesnt go the way you want. Once you're sure that the exiftool options are workiing the way you want then apply them to your master catalog.

-louie

8. PhilBurton

PhilBurton Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Louie,

Thanks. I have concluded that I will need to set up a separate test catalog and work with a COPY of my affected NEF files to work out this issue.

All due to the fact that the internal clock battery in my D3 literally fell out and I didn't know that until weeks later.

Phil