• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

default editing to PSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjlad

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi there, When editing in CS5 the files always open as 16 bit tiffs so if I want to save them as PSD files that has to be done deliberately. Is there a way to have them open as PSD's instead of tiffs and in turn save that way when saved or closed so that intermediate file type change isn't necessary. Also I'm wondering why many operations don't work in 16 bit mode ...such as transformations, some brushes etc. Ideally when taking from LR5 into CS5 for editing they would open as 8 bit PSD files so all editing could be done without changing bit depth and they would save with layers intact as PSD's. Still can't use <enter> to move down a line here ...only forum this ever happens on. :) Thanks, Jay

Go to Preferences > External Editing tab and you should be able to change it there.

I have an idea for the new line bug... let me come back to you on that.

Still can't use <enter> to move down a line here ...only forum this ever happens on. :) Thanks, Jay

Just try something for me - in the bottom left corner of the page, try changing the style pop-up to Default Style and see if it'll let you press Enter. If it does, then it's something in our template that I can track down. If not, then it's a vBulletin bug.

Hi Victoria, Just checked that only to find I'm on it already. Tried the mobile default and that was scary ...and that dialogue box was no longer available so had to hit the back button to get back to this default setting. Just did 10 <enter> strokes and I'm still here. I'm on W7 Home Premium with latest updates. When it really seems important to have paragraphs I type my reply in notepad then drop it in. Otherwise I just let it flow all in one paragraph like this is. As you say it must be a vbulletin thing, but the strange thing is that this is a common bulletin program and that never happens on other sites running it ...so kinda strange. I'll just live with it and mention it occasionally in case someone stumbles across a fix. Cheers, Jay PS. My catalogue is backing up and once that is done I'll try those settings. That's actually another thing I wanted to ask about. When backing up, for the first part of the process when it is checking the catalogue intregity, it uses so much of the available resources ..I can't even switch windows.. After while as it continues into the optimization routine I get some control back but throughout the entire process I might as well forget about productivity. I'll look for a setting for that too.

One little bit of advice - don't bother with PSD. It's a proprietary format, which in the long term is never a good choice, and it offers no advantage over TIF other than the ability to save as duotone mode.

John

Hi Victoria, Just checked that only to find I'm on it already. Tried the mobile default and that was scary ...and that dialogue box was no longer available so had to hit the back button to get back to this default setting. Just did 10 <enter> strokes and I'm still here. I'm on W7 Home Premium with latest updates. When it really seems important to have paragraphs I type my reply in notepad then drop it in. Otherwise I just let it flow all in one paragraph like this is. As you say it must be a vbulletin thing, but the strange thing is that this is a common bulletin program and that never happens on other sites running it ...so kinda strange. I'll just live with it and mention it occasionally in case someone stumbles across a fix. Cheers, Jay PS.

That's even stranger, I only just created it this morning to test it! Browser?

↑ ↑
Sometimes one of the two first buttons above (in reply mode) helps can't remember which one, in the moment
it
works
o.k.

Franz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back