Destination Folder not Writable- Can't Import

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Ann

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I am using a MacPro 2013 and just purchased a new 10TB HGST HE Hard Drive. I copied my previous images hard drive to this one and everything has been working fine until yesterday. Now, when I try to import images in LR to the Hard Drive with my CF Card Reader, I get this message. A few answers to questions I know might be asked:

1- This was working previously just fine as recently as two days ago. I have been using the new hard drive for about 3 weeks.

2- I have set my permissions and gone to each folder within the hard drive to make sure everything is Read and Write. I have also restarted the computer after doing this.

3- I normally back my Time Machine to this hard drive and it has said Time Machine has failed since 3/7/17 when the last time it was able to back up to it.

4- I am able to physically drag the images from the CF reader to the Hard Drive and then import to LR just fine. They copied perfectly by dragging. I did try to import 3 images from my internal hard drive and got the same message that the Destination folder is not writable. (I tried to copy images to the new HD in LR).

5- I have run Disk Utilities and it says there are no problems with the hard drive. I also have over half the HD empty as I know a full HD could be an issue.

I can't think of anything else to try and can't figure out why neither LR or Time Machine will allow images written to the HD. Is there something in LR not allowing it to write on the HD?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 2.58.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 2.58.04 PM.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 612
Two thoughts. The obvious one is that the Drive is formatted for a Windows machine (NTFS) and not a Mac (NFS+). An Mac can read Windows drives but not write to them. You can use "Get Info" on the volume to verify that it is formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" or similar.
The second not so obvious is that the "make a second copy to" destination in the import panel does not exist or is full.

The first suggestion is highly unlikely, because the OP has copied images to the disk in another way and has made a Time Machine backup to this disk.

The Time Machine remark got me thinking however. Time Machine sets some special permissions, which could interfere with other applications trying to copy something to the same disk. It is usually better to have a dedicated Time Machine disk, and not use it for anything else.

it has said Time Machine has failed since 3/7/17 when the last time it was able to back up to it.

Fishing:

Has Time Machine provided any additional information? Is your Time Machine data on it's own partition?
Have you looked at any limitation the MacPro might have regarding the new drive?

Kibitzing:

Echoing — with emphasis — Johan's observation: dedicate a drive to Time Machine, and don't put anything else on it. Short of a whole drive, dedicate a partition to Time Machine's data.

I took Time Machine off this HD (though it worked fine in the past). Still no luck. Hard Drive is definitely formatted to: Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Box is not check to "Make a duplicate copy to..."
Any other thoughts?

I took Time Machine off this HD (though it worked fine in the past). Still no luck. Hard Drive is definitely formatted to: Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Box is not check to "Make a duplicate copy to..."
Any other thoughts?

Taking Time Machine off won't change the permissions Time Machine has set for the disk. If you click once on the disk icon and choose 'Get Info', you will get an information panel with the permissions and all the way at the bottom a checkmark 'Ignore ownership of this volume'. That should be checked so you won't get all kinds of permissions problems. Time Machine may have altered this already, and your permissions could also be different. A Time Machine disk is also missing this 'Ignore ownership' checkmark. See my Time Machine disk next to my Photo disk. As you can see, the Time Machine disk says right under 'Sharing & Permissions': "You can only read". You'd have to change this so you have read&write permissions.

Disks.jpg

Taking Time Machine off won't change the permissions Time Machine has set for the disk. If you click once on the disk icon and choose 'Get Info', you will get an information panel with the permissions and all the way at the bottom a checkmark 'Ignore ownership of this volume'. That should be checked so you won't get all kinds of permissions problems. Time Machine may have altered this already, and your permissions could also be different. A Time Machine disk is also missing this 'Ignore ownership' checkmark. See my Time Machine disk next to my Photo disk. As you can see, the Time Machine disk says right under 'Sharing & Permissions': "You can only read". You'd have to change this so you have read&write permissions.

View attachment 9145

I can't find the Get Info for Time Machine. Not sure where to find it. This is how I get to it in my Menu Bar- see screenshot attached.

I really feel like it is a permissions issue because there is no issue of dragging and dropping over to the hard drive. I will call Apple Care later tonight when I have time. In the meantime, if anyone else has any thoughts, please let me know.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 11.57.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 11.57.23 AM.png
    111.5 KB · Views: 415
I can't find the Get Info for Time Machine. Not sure where to find it.

In the Finder, click on the disk icon once to select it. Then choose 'File - Get Info' from the Finder menu (or press Cmd-i).

Can't find where Time Machine is located in my Finder. I can find it in System Preferences but I can't find it anywhere that I can get a "Get Info" on it. When I search for Time Machine nothing turns up. I am confused???

In the Finder, click on the disk icon once to select it. Then choose 'File - Get Info' from the Finder menu (or press Cmd-i).

Forget about the Time Machine application, that's not what I am talking about. In the upper right corner of your desktop you normally see the icons of all your disks. That is what I am talking about. Select the disk that is giving you troubles, then choose 'Get Info'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back