Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Thompson

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi, I have a problem that appears related to Problem with Duplicate Folders

Here's my problem.

I have my folders in Windows Explorer arranged under a Parent folder "Media Library" like this:

upload_2017-2-16_17-3-2.png

and here's the same structure synchronised in Lightroom, note I've expanded 2017\02

upload_2017-2-16_17-5-24.png

Now I'm going to import a new picture using the import settings below that shows Lightroom will create a new folder 2017\02\15 - this is the same process I've used for some time without problem.

upload_2017-2-16_17-6-52.png

And here's the problem now, after import Lightroom has created another instance of folder "2017" as you will see at the top of this tree...

upload_2017-2-16_17-9-51.png

but you may not be surprised to know that in Windows Explorer the folder "15" is where it should be, under "2017"

upload_2017-2-16_17-12-34.png

I can merge the folders back together in Lightroom using update folder location, but the shadow folder just reappears with the next import. Also this message that appears when I right click to reveal the parent folder of the shadow 2017 folder in Lightroom:

upload_2017-2-16_17-18-41.png

upload_2017-2-16_17-19-17.png

As described in the linked thread I have tried re-linking by creating temporary folders at both the "Media Library" and "2017" level and re-pointing Lightroom back to the original folders, but to no avail.

Suggestions are very welcome, tinkering before I understood the problem led to me losing some edits, luckily not many but it would have been annoying if it was a whole bunch of work.

Thanks for reading to the end! Your suggestions would be very welcome.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, welcome to the forum.

It looks like the "capitalisation" issue which crops up from time to time, to verify that could you (in the Lightroom Folders Panel) hover your mouse over the "Media Library" folder and note down the exact path to that folder which will appear in a tool-tip pop-up. Then do the same when hovering over the rogue "2017" folder, and let us know what the two paths are....we're looking for a capitalisation difference between the two paths.

Hi Jim, thanks for getting back to me. You're quite right, the "shadow" folder displays the path E:\MEDIA LIBRARY\2017 whilst the real one shows E:\Media Library\2017.

I have tried re-directing Media Library before but that didn't seem to work so would be grateful for your advice.

Cheers, Richard

OK, that's a little odd. It suggests that there's a "MEDIA LIBRARY" somewhere, but both screenshots (Windows Explorer and Lightroom Import) are clearly showing "Media Library". Another thing that's odd is that in the screenshot of the Import dialog, there is no target folder selected.....there should be a big selection bar on the "Media Library" target folder.

Can you try an import again, but make sure that you select the "Media Library" folder and that it is clearly highlighted? And what happens when you do that, does the import go into the correct "2017" folder?

Jim, you're a genius. See below, I was creating my own problem (in tandem with the "capitalisation issue") . I've now redirected this to \Media Library and all good!
upload_2017-2-17_12-14-21.png

Thanks again - I don't know how long it would have taken for me to find that...

Good news!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back