1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

edit history in XMP?

Discussion in 'Lightroom 1-6 for Windows & Mac (perpetual)' started by reflog369, Jul 18, 2010.

1. reflog369

reflog369 New Member

I just imported some images I edited at school and wanted to import these images into my home computer. After I imported the images all the pins and changes I made at school were there but the history was missing. I even copied the xmp file into the folder I used to import and restarted LR but the history still doesn't show.

How should I import files I worked on elsewhere so that all the edits and the history show?

Mod note: revised thread title to be more specific

2. b_gossweiler

b_gossweiler Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Re: history

Welcome to the forums, reflog :)

Since some changes were present after import at home, I assume you did write metadata back to file at school (XMP files), which subsequently was used upon import at home. This method works to take over all development adjustments and almost all of the metadata (except stacks, virtual copies, flags, collections, history).

If you want all of it to transfer to your home computer, you'd have to use "Export as Catalog" at school and a subsequent "Import from Catalog" at home.

Beat

3. reflog369

reflog369 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I did save the xmp file at school as I used ctrl s prior to sending to my flash drive. Am I out of luck to get them into my catalog at home?

4. b_gossweiler

b_gossweiler Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit

Yes, you're out of luck if you don't have access to the original catalog (at school) anymore to do the Export as Catalog. History steps (as well as Virtual Copies, Flags, Collections, Stacks) are not saved within XMPs.

Beat