1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Error: Weird glitches and artefacts after import and rendering of previews

Discussion in 'Lightroom Installation & Performance' started by *klaus, Jul 16, 2017 at 8:11 PM.

1. *klaus

*klaus New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Hello,

I encountered a weird problem after importing my first wedding (5000 photos) from a 5D Mark 3 and also Mark 4 into a new Macbook Pro (2017). This is how some of the pictures look like. It seems to happen while LR renders the 1:1 previews, not right during import. First, everything looks OK, but then, about 1 of 20 pictures looks like this. I have no idea what the problem is. In camera, on the old iMac and also after re-import, everything is OK. Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Thanks for your help!

Best,
    Klaus

B51A5912.jpg

Attached Files:

2. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Welcome to the forum. The initial images that LR shows are the JPEG thumbnails that are stored in the data block. This example image is coming from the file data block and is usually indicative of a corrupted file. The corruption could be on the card itself or as a result of the method used to import the contents of the card to the disk drive.
    Another option (not IMO likely) is a corrupt video color profile.

Describe in some detail the steps and hardware that you used to copy the image file to the disk drive. Do you see this corrupt image result from both camera of just one camera and perhaps just one camera card.

*klaus likes this.
  3. *klaus

*klaus New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Hey @clee01l , thank you very much for your reply.

To answer your questions and help locate the problem: I imported the images from the CF cards (16 GB and 256 GB, both affected) using a Transcend USB 3.0 card reader from 2013 connected via an AmazonBasics USB-C adapter to my Macbook Pro (15-inch, 2017, 2,9 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, almost full, running Sierra 10.12.5). Import directly into LR, rendering 1:1 previews and smart previews with import.

As I wrote, the problem dissapears after I re-import affected images, so I don't think the files on the card are corrupted. Also, in camera (both cameras, 5D Mark III and Mark IV, are affected) and on the other computer (a 2012 iMac, same card reader), everything is fine.

May it be a problem that the SSD is almost full? Or do you think it's the non-USB-C card reader? I already ordered a new USB-C-reader to eliminate this potential problem.

4. JohanElzenga

JohanElzenga Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.12 / CC 2015.12
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    It may indeed be the card reader.

*klaus likes this.
  5. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I agree with Johan. It could be the card reader. USB-C is a super fast port. The older card reader might not be able to pass the data as fast as MacOS wants it. As I understand it, you have three hardware components sitting between the CF card and the computer:
    1. a CF Card reader.
    2. a USB cable
    3. a USB-C to USB3 adapter.
    Any one of these components could be at fault. If the USB3 cable is older and well used, it could have tiny breaks in the internal wiring or a pinch that could be causing the data loss.
    Since it is CF, there could be bent pins inside the CF slot. This is probably the most vulnerable part of a CF card reader. A CF slot with a short reach can allow too much play in the card allowing the card and pins to not properly align and a bent pin would mean the data sent thru that pin would not arrive at the computer.

I am glad you were able to re-import all of your images successfully. LR makes use of working storage (free space) and needs ~100GB free for temporary files. If you have less than this, you would be well served to work to free up space on the Primary SSD.

*klaus likes this.
  6. *klaus

*klaus New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Thank you, sounds reasonable. I'm freeing up space (going to work with an external HDD for the RAWs, anyway) und going to use a new USB-C card reader. That should hopefully solve the problem. Will see if I can reproduce the problem, anyway, and will keep you posted.