1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Exporting from Lightroom

Discussion in 'Output Modules' started by Richard Pring, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Richard Pring

Richard Pring New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Hi,
    Frequently when I try to export from LR, I get a message telling me that images were not imported due to lack of space. Space where? - there is room on the hard disc>
    If I then re-export the images that were not exported, either all or some of them are then exported. If not all, re-export the remaining images...etc. and finally all are exported successfully.
    What am I doing wrong?

Richard

2. Ferguson

Ferguson Linwood Ferguson Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    My GUESS is you are getting some kind of disk error during the export, which LR may be mis-interpreting as no space. Lots of software out there tends to treat any disk error as no space; I would hope Adobe was smarter but who knows.

Are you exporting to a disk that may be a bit flakey? If you try to do something like copy a few hundred shots to that disk, does the copy succeed? Do you have another disk drive you can export to, in order to see if you have similar issues?

3. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Lightroom uses Working storage to create temporary files before writing the finished files to the final destination. In Windows, the TEMP folder is usually on the C:\ drive where it shares free space with the Windows Swapfile. If you do not have enough free space on the Primary disk drive (C:\) LR will run out of places to write these temporary files. You need to maintain ~100GB of free space on the Primary drive for working storage so that LR and other apps can work as intended

4. Ferguson

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Really?!? I didn't know that. That's just dumb from a performance standpoint for disk exports, as it then has to write the file twice and read it once. Ooops.... that's probably fodder for a different conversation, but more likely to be the OP's issue. Thanks!

5. clee01l

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    First, these temporary files are not the same as the finished product/ Most of your "industrial strength" apps use working storage to create temporary files. Otherwise you would have to do all of this staging in RAM. (and you don't have enough RAM). In an export LR can be working several images through the export process at the same time limited only by the number of cores and RAM. Remember also in an export, LR begins with the original image file and applies each develop adjustment serially to the previously adjusted intermediate image one by one.

6. Ferguson

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    So this is not the ACR cache, but it is also not a working copy of the output file either, but something different from both?

7. clee01l

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Yes, Intermediate stages. Starting with the RGB image data and then each develop adjustment is applied one by one to the file with the previous adjustment. When everything is finished, the data file is converted to the fine file format (JPG, TIFF etc. and packaged with the metadata to make a complete file.