Filmstrip Mouse Scrolling - Moving Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

joez94

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi, i’m using Lightroom CC on Windows 10 Dell Desktop machine and noticed in library and develop mode:

When selecting a single image or multiple images in the filmstrip section, trying to move those images using the mouse wheel scrolling from the start of the collection to the end (so mouse scrolling up or down), the filmstrip does not move?

I have tried this with two wireless mouses and a wired mouse.

I could do this easily on my MacBook Pro using the trackpad or on the Magic Mouse.

Is there a setting i’m missing? Software that i can download?

I assume you mean "scroll' through the images, as I don't think it's possible to move them that way. So assuming that's it...

You may want to try right-clicking the start button, then control panel, then mouse. Under "wheel", try just changing the value and clicking apply, then change it back if desired. That might 'jog' Windows to re-recognize the scroll wheel. And make sure you try a different USB port, too.

Another option might be using X-Mouse Button Control.. It allows changing between several known methods of scroll recognition in various applications - controlled on a per-application (plus per-window and per-screen-area) basis. One of those might end up working [better]. Wonderful program, really (and free). It can be found here: XMouse Button Control

Last edited:
I think there's a bit of confusion here. As the OP reports, using the scroll wheel on a mouse (or two-finger up/down scroll on a Mac trackpad) will move the filmstrip images left to right or right to left (provided the cursor in on the filmstrip), depending on the direction of wheel movement (up or down). This (should) work on both platforms, and does indeed on my Mac (wireless mouse scroll wheel and 2-finger scroll on the trackpad) AND using a wireless mouse on my Windows system.

So as this isn't working for the OP, that might tend to suggest the mouse settings, via the Control Panel, need to be checked, specifically what function is assigned to the mouse wheel.

Capture.JPG

This screenshot is from my Windows work computer. If the scroll wheel doesn't tilt, then it can't go left to right.

View attachment 9579If the scroll wheel doesn't tilt, then it can't go left to right.

Regular up & down scrolling DOES also work to scroll the images left/right in the filmstrip under normal circumstances. Tilting left or right will also work, but up & down scroll does too - when the mouse is over the filmstrip.

The problem on Windows seems to be that when you're trying to drag an image (or images) and scroll the filmstrip at the same time, the scroll won't work.When I have the left mouse button depressed for the drag, the scroll wheel won't scroll the filmstrip. So the OP is correct: it doesn't work on Windows. Dragging off the end of the filmstrip will scroll, but it usually goes so fast that one is likely to overshoot.

ah! So that must be one of those Mac-to-Windows lost-in-translation errors. :D

It still might be possible to use XMBC to remedy that - I never tried it though.. In XMBC it's also possible to reassign which commands the scroll wheel is sending to an application/window/screen-area, entirely - anything from min/maximize to sticky buttons to simulated keystrokes, and possibly even combinations via what it calls 'button chording' (although I still haven't explored exactly what that chording part is all about).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back