How do I turn off this message window?

• Thread starter Deleted member 39308
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 39308

Hi

If I use a keyboard shortcut e.g. the plus and minus keys to adjust a slider I get these pop windows each time.

lr_msg.jpg

I have searched though the preferences, but could not see how to turn these off.

Anybody able to save me from these windows constantly popping up each time I use a keyboard shortcut?

Many thanks

Anybody able to save me from these windows constantly popping up each time I use a keyboard shortcut?

Only the Adobe programmers. You could go to their Feature Request page and request a way to turn the messages off. There's a link at the top of this page. Or you could learn to ignore them.

Only the Adobe programmers. You could go to their Feature Request page and request a way to turn the messages off. There's a link at the top of this page. Or you could learn to ignore them.
LOL :D. Hard to ignore 'em when they go off ten times a second each time you touch a short cut key and they are covering the part of the photo you are trying to adjust. It gets worse, at least on Windows, add the alt key at the same time and it plays the system notification sound as well :mad2:.

I had programmed my Wacom touch ring to move the adjustment sliders, looks like I'll have to abandon that idea.

I don't get that in LR5 (??)
You should. Try clicking on the, say, Exposure slider title (i.e. click on the word Exposure) and you should see a pop-up explaining that you can "Modify Exposure with + / - Keys", so then press either of the plus or minus keys and you should see the pop-ups that Ad Astra is referring to.

cheers Jim; looks like I haven't clicked on "exposure" , or the others too often --- just watched myself to see what I do which is (apparently) put my pointer on the actually slider button and use the mouse instead of the +/-.
So there's the answer Ad Astra :D . Amazing how we all have our different ways to do the same things

As an alternative, float the cursor over a slider and tap the up/down keys instead. No overlays!

Thanks for the ideas. I am looking to remove the use of a mouse as it is impossible to make accurate adjustments e.g. in +1 increments hence my idea to program the very nice silky smooth touch ring on my Wacom tablet.

I had high hopes for Victoria's idea but this doesn't work as I had hoped. The trouble is to reach the touch ring on my Wacom tablet I have to move my hand with pen in it over to the touch ring and this then moves the position of the cursor away from the slider.

You could use a separate one in your other hand, like the Contour Shuttle. It's an extra thing to have on your desk, but it's only small. Works a treat.

You could use a separate one in your other hand, like the Contour Shuttle. It's an extra thing to have on your desk, but it's only small. Works a treat.

Hi Victoria,

I tried a Contour Shuttle and could not get on with it, the keys and jogs were too noisy for me and the driver was very buggy. I returned mine for a refund as Contour confirmed the bugs but could not indicate if they would ever fix them.

The Wacom touch ring has a much nicer feel to it, but the pop-ups and sound effects from the Lightroom shortcuts rule this out too.

I have seen, but not tried, a SpaceNavigator by 3D Connexion. I wondered if one of these could be programmed to use the up and down arrow keys to drive the sliders in Lightroom. Have you tried one of these at all? If so I would appreciate your thoughts on them.

I have seen, but not tried, a SpaceNavigator by 3D Connexion. I wondered if one of these could be programmed to use the up and down arrow keys to drive the sliders in Lightroom. Have you tried one of these at all? If so I would appreciate your thoughts on them.

Yep, I had one of those, sold it. It wasn't ideal. If you're just looking for a dial, try the Griffin Powermate.

Thanks Victoria.

I had a look at Griffin's web site. Looks like I am running out of options their website states, my emphasis:

"If you have a USB port and you are using one of the operating systems listed below, PowerMate will work with any application that uses keyboard commands. PowerMate is compatible with Mac OS X, and Windows XP and Vista.

*This software is not fully compatible with Windows 7, 8, or 10. However, many of our customers report that they are able to use the software in compatibility mode. We hope to have a Windows update available in the future but an immediate ETA for this update is unknown at this time."

Eugh, it's a few years since I last tried it. Nice little gadget though. May be worth chasing them over updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back