N+13

Chuck N+13
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I use LR CC on an iMac.

Development of .dng photos is done in a standard LR catalog. There is "Apply During Import" / "Develop Settings" custom setup used when I load. Upon completion I export as jpgs in a new folder and reimport (using Add) the new files into a much larger catalog of years of jpg photos. For years, this has worked well.

Suddenly, during the process of adding to the second catalog, more custom settings are applied. The result is garish photos. This is verified by looking in Development and seeing sliders that are not neutral or the same as they were in catalog 1 prior to export. I verified that Develop Settings is set at "None".

Does anyone know what can be going on? Thanks for you assistance
N+13

Suddenly, during the process of adding to the second catalog, more custom settings are applied. The result is garish photos.
JPEGs by default are imported with out any develop adjustment. If this is what you want for the Second catalog of JPEGs, then the Develop Settings Field in the "Apply During Import" panel should be set to "None". If you are applying a develop preset to these JPEGs, then this Preset is the source of your "garish photos".

You can simplify your WorkFlow by keeping both Originals and JPEG derivatives in the same catalog. On Export you can set the checkbox labeled "Add to this Catalog". If you want to be really efficient, you can skip the catalog for the derivative JPEGs completely and simply export from the original when a new derivative copy is needed. Most often the derivative is destined for the Web and a Publish Service will create the derivative at the destination obviating the need for a local file.

Hi Cletus,
I verified that "None" is chosen in the Develop Settings, the most obvious mistake. Given that, what else can be going on?

Thanks for the other suggestions.

Hi Cletus,
I verified that "None" is chosen in the Develop Settings, the most obvious mistake. Given that, what else can be going on?

Thanks for the other suggestions.
Do you by change have "Save metadata Settings to file" set on the derivative JPEG? Open the develop module and look at the history panel. There should be one entry describing the Import event with a reference to a Develop Preset only if One is applied.
If I import a JPEG, all of my develop settings are in the neutral position. This is how I expect yours would be too.

One other possibility.. Perhaps OP had inadvertently set a default setting for that camera, and LR is applying it? I don't know off-hand if those only pertain to raw or not.

Last edited:
One other possibility.. Perhaps OP had inadvertently set a default setting for that camera, and LR is applying it? I don't know off-hand if those only pertain to raw or not.
These default settings are SUPPOSED to only apply to RAW files. JPEGs from the camera are already developed as are (as you would expect) exported JPEGs.

These default settings are SUPPOSED to only apply to RAW files. JPEGs from the camera are already developed as are (as you would expect) exported JPEGs.
You can set new default develop settings for any file-type. The fact that a Jpeg is an already developed image is irrelevant, you can still develop it further if you wish, so you can change the default settings.

I forget. When was "Apply auto tone adjustments" removed from the Presets tab of the Preferences dialogue? Having that set could be the OP's problem. It certainly fits the symptoms.

Nice thought, Hal.....I think it was as late as 6.7 that Auto Tone was removed, so if the OP really is using 6.5 a quick check of the Preferences>Presets panel is in order to see if the Auto Tone option is checked.

First an apology and word of appreciation to all of you. I have not felt well and have been away from the computer. Hence, the laxness. I will investigate everything suggested. One last question: "OP", what does it stand for? Thanks for the help.

"OP" in forum-speak means either "Original Post" or "Original Poster" (the starter of the thread, in this case that would be you).

Hope you're feeling better....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back