Is there a quick way to apply the entire Keyword Set to an image?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (and still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I want to create keyword set containing workflow keywords, one set each for LIBRARY and DEVELOP (for now). Is there a one-click way to apply these keyword sets?

Is there a better way to address this need?

Phil

I add my workflow keywords on ingestion with a metadata template. So zero clicks needed...
Roelof,

I also have probably 500 or more images that are in various ad hoc catalogs. I want to import those catalogs into my main catalog and then apply my workflow keywords. How can I accomplish that?

Hmm, not sure but when you did work on those images i think you would merge all these catalogs to the main catalog.
In that case i think it's best to add those workflow-keywords first (in the ad hoc catalogs, before they are merged with the main one). However, this could be a lot of work...

Maybe someone else knows a more efficient way

Roelof,
I also have probably 500 or more images that are in various ad hoc catalogs. I want to import those catalogs into my main catalog and then apply my workflow keywords. How can I accomplish that?
from experience; if we mess up our keywords we need to un-mess them one by one -- not literally but.. -- so I would love hear how others have done it as their way is likely better than mine

Hmm, not sure but when you did work on those images i think you would merge all these catalogs to the main catalog.
In that case i think it's best to add those workflow-keywords first (in the ad hoc catalogs, before they are merged with the main one). However, this could be a [quotelot of work...
When I did that work, most of it at least, I barely understood the differences between LIBRARY and DEVELOP. :confused: Nor for most of this work, did I realize the problems with separate, ad hoc catalogs. Now of course I understand all these issues well, and I want to bring the earlier work up to my current understanding of best practices and good image development. Fortunately I have always shot RAW+JPG. Once I understood that LR is a non-destructive editor, unlike Photoshop, I stopped shooting JPGs.

I have about 8 ad hoc catalogs, so it would not be that much work to add in all the keywords prior to import, but my intuition tells me that I might introduce some keyword inconsistencies that way.

Maybe someone else knows a more efficient way

I sure hope so.

Phil

not sure if this is the best or better way --- merge all catalogs into one -- tidy up those keywords without going to a lot of trouble -- add a "keyword me" k/work (I use 'tag')-- merge all into one catalog . 500 files is not a lot to sort through/re-keyword if you feel you need to --- they will surface in time so deal with them when they surface --- you will also have the 'tag' keyword help to you find them and re-keyword

general comment:
:oops: I only just learnt this 'ctrl' key tick (at 2.30 minutes into video) makes a BIG difference time wise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_RS2J6XY60
how I used it this morning> tagged all 100+ files with keywords to suit all> used the paint tin to add others>
instead of selecting a number of files (3-5) to add the same keywords I found I could add keyword/s to one file> move to the next file where I only needed to type the first letter of the k/w and LR did the rest

not sure if that is the best or better way or a silly way; I'm just putting it out there

not sure if this is the best or better way --- merge all catalogs into one -- tidy up those keywords without going to a lot of trouble -- add a "keyword me" k/work (I use 'tag')-- merge all into one catalog . 500 files is not a lot to sort through/re-keyword if you feel you need to --- they will surface in time so deal with them when they surface --- you will also have the 'tag' keyword help to you find them and re-keyword

not sure if that is the best or better way or a silly way; I'm just putting it out there

Ian, I LIKEd your post and I think I learned a lot from this video.

Phil

The video is still not a very effective method. Rather than entering keywords to one image, then select many and use 'Sync Metadata', it's much easier to first select all the images and then type in the keyword(s). That will add them to all the images without the need to synchronize later. It can be used when typing keywords as well as when using Keyword Suggestions or Keyword Sets.

How about using the Spray Can? Although I agree with Johan's method, which is what I mainly use.

How about using the Spray Can? Although I agree with Johan's method, which is what I mainly use.
I find the spray can/painter great for a same subjects spread throughout the grip view but select consecutive photos the add the same words. CTRL key method is good when different subjects are in each file -- I have that a lot as I often take just the one or maybe two photos of each subject . I'm not sure there is any one-way to do all keywording, however most happy snappers don't need as the pro and stock photographs do as we often see in videos . I don't know about you; but if I'm not keywording a lot I forget the many lists/hierarchies/synonyms I have set up. It's the old KISS rule -- keep it simple stupid .

And an off topic note: using ON1 opened a new can of worms if files are sent to on1 with LR lists/hierarchies/synonyms as ON1 will return the keywords as a single list . The only way I have found around the drama (was told actually) is make a lr copy without k/words to be sent to on1. Later the keywords are cut and pasted from the original photo to the new edited photo/s --- Yeah; a pain in the butt!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back