Keyword help

Status
Not open for further replies.

donvt

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
When ever I add a keyword, I always choose the option "create keyword inside this " ".
But when I look at the keywords after they are assigned and some have "<parent" and others just have the keyword. I do not understand why they are different. I prefer just the keyword. Thanks in advance for any reason why the 2 should be different.
tectonic 2.PNG
tectonic 3.PNG
tetonic plate 1.PNG

I believe it's because you have multiple keywords with the same name so Lightroom is showing you the parent so you can differentiate. For example, you have 'waterfall' under Geology and Scape details.

I used to dislike the pattern<rock look also; however I now find it easier to add similar keywords into a few different hierarchies lists. Take the keyword 'pattern' that I use a lot . Instead of typing in pattern, and then wood, or water, or sky, or natural, or rocks; I just need to start typing pattern and Lr will give my a list of hierarchies containing 'pattern' --- all I need do is click on the better one or even two; like pattern<wood and it's all done.
When I do a search by typing in pattern I will be given the hierarchies containing patterns

there will a difference to the keywords you see and the keywords that will exported; and we need to remember keywords are there to help us find a photo --- how keywords look doesn't seem the matter

I found this helpful; in fact Tony's LR quick tips series is pretty good -- you have likely see all this stuff but others may not have
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_RS2J6XY60
another I have book marked
Keyword Hierarchies | Learn to Lightroom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDv1yQFDJ3I

Hope that helps in some way --- I wish I had a better understanding of keywords earlier

I believe Dave is right; Lr will show the parent in the box when there are duplicate children. Cuz "waterfall" the child of Scapes is a different kid than "waterfall" the child of Geology.

So what you have to do is puzzle over the organization. For example, if I see a duplicate like "waterfall" I might move it to a parent where it would be alone, like "features." I could still keyword "Geology" and "Scapes" separately, so the same info is in the image's metadata. Just without the duplication. It's sometimes unavoidable though, and then seeing the parent is helpful. It's a feature, not a bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back