• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Laptop Recommendations - PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Win

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I get to order a new computer for my work and I need it to be beefy enough to run Photoshop well. I also need it to be a laptop and a PC (not a Mac). I would love input on what brands, types, and minimum specifications I should be requesting so as to have a computer that will be powerful enough for my Lightroom and Photoshop work for the next 3-4 years.

Thanks in advance!
Win

It comes down to money. I searched for a long time. While I can't say money is no object. I prefer to spend a little more up front and get 4-5 good usable years from them. I settled on a Dell Precision 5520. Don't buy on line. Call and talk to a sales rep for a larger discount. I think anything to do with photo editing should have a nicer display. I suffered for far too long with my current laptop.

Last edited:
For Windows machines, I am partial to Microsoft's high end spec'd Surface Pro 4. It compares favorably with the Macbook's

Is portability important? Does weight and size matter to you? Will you have a docking station and a desktop monitor? What is your budget? Do you want to want/need a monitor that can display in just sRGB or do you also need to be able to display Adobe color space? How important is the keyboard? Does it need to be back lit? Answers to these questions can help folks provide you with useful recommendations. But regardless of how you answer these questions, you should almost always consider as much RAM and as as big and fast of a drive as you can afford. Many machines do not allow upgrades, or they void warranties if the machine is opened (if it can be opened).

Good luck,

--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back