• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom 2015 (2017 latest release) problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfearless47

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
i just received a brand new iMac 2017 model with the Kaby Lake 4.2 GHz processor, 64 GB RAM. It replaced a well used 2013 Mac Pro. Before decommissioning the Mac Pro, I backed up the entire system to a large capacity external drive, leaving untouched the drives where my lightroom catalog is stored, and the drive where more than 100,000 image files reside. The catalog was backed up, and the images were backed up as well.

Here is the problem: after deactivating LR and PS on the old computer, I then set up the new computer de novo. I then used the migration assistant (to avoid copying unneeded cruft from the Mac Pro to the new machine). I then reactivated LR (and PS) on the new machine. PS works exactly as before, only faster. LR is another story. Two problems make it unusable at the moment, and I don’t know what the issues are: 1). The catalog is intact and it knows where the images are. But it just shows a grey box in place of every image, but the histogram and keywords are present. I can click on an image to edit, but it simply brings up a larger grey box. This is puzzling; I have it set to minimal previews, which is how I had it set before. The second problem has to do with backing up the catalog. No matter what I do, it tells me it can’t compkete the backup either because there is no space (2TB free on the drive)., oroccasionally that I dont have permission to write to the drive (not true as I am the drive owner, and the attributes reveal I can read and write to the drive and all its subfolders. This bewilders me as I have complete control of all the images from every other program I use. It has to be a setup or configuration problem with Lightroom, but I can’t determine what it is.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Sounds like your previews cache is corrupt. In the catalog folder you'll find a file (a package to be more correct) called 'catalog name previews.lrdata'. Trash this and start Lightroom again. Lightroom should now start to rebuild the previews.

Now for the problem of the backups. When you see the dialog where Lightroom asks you if you want to make a backup, you have a button to change the location of that backup. Try a different disk (or just a different folder) to see if that solves the problem.

But it just shows a grey box in place of every image, but the histogram and keywords are present. I can click on an image to edit, but it simply brings up a larger grey box.

If it's grey in the Develop module as well as Library, then it's not corrupted previews. It's more likely to be a corrupted monitor profile in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back