• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom 6 compatibility with Photoshop CS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMFox

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
1.x
I am new to Lightroom, I don't actually have a copy yet. I'm trying to figure out which to buy. I don't want to upgrade to the Creative Cloud. I'm happy with old stand alone software.

Please excuse ignorance and if this is not the place to ask my question.

I have a new iMac running Sierra. I have an old Photoshop CS3 that does whatever I want. I also have Aperture which is no longer a viable software. So I need to update to a new photo management program.
I want Lightroom. Is Lightroom 6 (stand alone) going to work with my Photoshop CS3. I am a beginner to intermediate Photoshop user.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.
LR6 is the standalone version that you want. You can purchase it at this link: Software & Services
CS3 will work with LR6 however you will need to recognize that both use an Adobe Camera Raw component. The version with your CS3 is ACR 4.6 the current version that is built into LR is 9.9. Most of what you want to do in Photoshop can be handled in LR without needing to use Photoshop anyway. For processes using layers and a few other functions, you will still need PSv10. When that happens, instead of being able to send the RAW file with LR/ACR adjustment instructions, you will need to send a fully rendered TIFF or PSD. Only the latest version of PSCC can interpret the ACR adjustment instructions supplied by LR6.9. This is not a big deals to render the TIFF/PSD because when you return to LR with the finished product out of Photoshop it will be the same TIFF/PSD with the PS modifications.

So just remember this. When you send a file from Lightrrom to Photoshop, you will get a warning about Camera Raw, with three choices: Render in Lightroom, Open Anyway, or Cancel. Choose 'Render in Lightroom'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back