• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom & Photostream

Status
Not open for further replies.

jburk

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
I'm a mac user and my primary camera is my iPhone 4. I've been using Photostream to some success inside of iPhoto and have recently upgraded to Aperture in an attempt to have more total control over my photo library. I'm not real thrilled with how Apple products handle my photos and it seems that my Aperture library is just exploding in size and at times seems to be very slow.

So I'm checking out the beta for Lightroom 4 and was wondering if anyone knew of a graceful solution to get Lightroom to import my Photostream. I've debated nixing Photostream altogether and just settling for pluggin my phone into my MBP but then I have to contend with getting the images off my wifes phone as well every couple of weeks, while Photostream takes care of all that for me.

I'm a complete newb when it comes to Adobe products so I'm not sure how everything works, and I figured this was the best place to ask.

Thanks!

As MarathonMax has indicated Photostream2Folder.app is the solution to get your iOS photos from iCloud to LR. However, It is not without some wrinkles. The process only works one way. And it works by intercepting the photostream from the iCloud BEFORE iPhoto can get them. The website to down load is http://www.petits-suisses.ch/PhotoStream2Folder/index.php Laurent Crivello is the author of the app. The App works with LR's AutoImport function. I can go into specifics if you need to set this up.

I have asked Laurent to look into the upload to iCloud, which Apple has not made very transparent. Surprisingly, the upload and download to iCloud on Windows is very transparent and very easy to integrate with LR. (Again using the AutoImport for downloads and using Publish Services for uploads to iCloud).

I am presently working on a solution to Publish to the iPhoto Auto Import folder which will let iPhoto do the 'heavy lifting' to send the fruits of your LR labors to iCloud. I still have details to work out but after I get the process nailed down, I'll present it here.

It's possible to do a one-way import of your Photo Stream images into Lightroom without removing them from your Photo Stream by using Automator in OSX...

Instructions from here: https://plus.google.com/101906353514641308377/posts/e1K1iZZFVbD

Step 1: Create an Automator folder action to copy all files added to your hidden Photo Stream folder to a folder elsewhere on your computer.

Start in Automator by creating a 'Folder Action' workflow. Click 'Choose folder', then press SHIFT-COMMAND-PERIOD while the Automator folder picker is open so that you can browse hidden folders. Choose the iCloud Photo Stream folder here: {USERNAME}/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/sub

Add a 'Get Folder Contents' action to your workflow, being sure to check the 'Repeat for each subfolder found' option.

Add a 'Copy Finder Items' action to your workflow, selecting a folder where you'd like Lightroom to import from. Something like "/Pictures/Lightroom Import" might be a good idea.

Save your workflow. You've just activated an Automator action that copies new Photo Stream images to a folder of your choosing.

Step 2: Tell Lightroom to automatically import images from this folder. In the Lightroom menu go to: File -> Auto Import -> Auto Import Settings... This will move the files out of the folder you just created and into Lightroom, leaving the hidden photostream directory un-modified so that we don't confuse iCloud or prevent you from viewing your Photo Stream on other iOS devices.

Step 3: There is no step 3. Just go out and take some awesome photos. Next time you launch Lightroom, they'll be there, and your images will continue to be imported on the fly when Lightroom is open.

I think it really is best to keep your photos out of iPhoto completely. iPhoto only runs on my computer to send photos to the iCloud Photostream after I've published them to the folder where they can be automatically posted to iCloud Photostream. And this is only because I have not found another means on OSX to get my LR published images to iCloud.
Photostream2Folder.app is an excellent solution for bypassing iPhoto to bring iCloud photos directly into LR without the additional iPhoto overhead and file clutter.

Now if you can create an Automator app that will watch the iPhoto AutoImport folder and push the images to the iCloud Photostream, I would like to see this.

I think what you suggest might be possible...

The automator action I posted monitors a '/sub' folder where incoming photostream assets are stored. There is a '/pub' folder next to it that I believe is used for publishing to iCloud. It may be possible to use Automator to copy items added to a Lightroom publish folder into the pub folder where they can be picked up by iCloud. It's also entirely possible that Apple keeps this locked up so that only items placed here by iPhoto and Aperture will be uploaded. I'll need to look into it...

Also... the automator import action I posted above doesn't actually use iPhoto at all. It works just like the Photostream2Folder app, except it uses OSX native folder actions instead of a monitoring app. iPhoto is only required for activating Photo Stream in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back