1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Lr 2017?

Discussion in 'Photoshop & External Editors' started by mcasan, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Ferguson

Ferguson Linwood Ferguson Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    @clee01l: Well sure, but they already spent all the development cost to support the license model. @tspear do you really see any indication that Adobe cares about the bad press so far?

Microsoft OTOH has muddied the water so much with confusing product names, features, giving Windows 10 away (with threats to charge for it later), a cloud Windows... no one really knows what to complain about there. :eek:

I just hope that Adobe realizes what a big win it got with the photography bundle. When that was not on the table at first, I think a LOT of people were looking for an exit path to photoshop especially. Now that have a lot of people, some grumbling but all still paying $10/mo, potentially forever. I think there is a lot of price sensitivity there. I changed cloud vendors a few months ago to go from about $15/mo to $8/mo. Took a bit of effort and setup (far more than a year's worth of $7/mo was worth), but I did it because I was annoyed as the $15 started about $8. I think a lot of us will look hard at alternatives if we feel they treat us like a captive audience.

Now, if there really are wiz-bang new features, that might be different, but a lot so far have been mobile related, which has a huge, wide audience -- but not the core audience that originally made Lightroom successful I think.

2. johnbeardy

johnbeardy Senior Member Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Because their subscription model is substantially more generous, five seats for the whole family, and the standalone option is equally visible. But it probably also has to do with its universality and lack of competition. If you want a fragmented pre-2006 style workflow instead of Lr/PS, you can choose from a range of apps for individual tasks.

3. tspear

tspear Senior Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.4 / CC 2015.4
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    @Ferguson I see what appear to be Adobe employees answering the questions a fair amount on Adobe forums, and in terms of press, if comes up here, dpreview and others often enough. I know the issue has cost Adobe customers, just based on comments online.

@johnbeardy Interesting that it is the generous model aspect. Thinking of that, I have been tempted to switch to the standalone Lr model, and probably will for the next release. I went CC specifically because I thought I would use Photoshop. I have opened Ps exactly once in the last two years, and that was by mistake. I really only use Lr, so paying the extra to have Photoshop just does not make sense for me. And at the pace I am still learning Lr, I will never get to Photoshop until I retire in a couple of decades. I would like Adobe to release a hobbyist package that is Lr only. Oh well.

Tim

4. Gnits

Gnits Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.12 / CC 2015.12
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    As someone who in the past purchased massive volumes of Microsoft licences on behalf of small, medium and very large enterprises, my view is that the current Office 365 offering is really good value to individuals and businesses. [I do disagree with some changes on licencing Access]

Pricing wise, you can get the full suite of Office products for a price not too different from the Adobe PS CC package, while the Adobe CC suite is substantially more expensive than the Microsoft Office Suite.

5. PhilBurton

PhilBurton Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    The ongoing cost is effectively zero, thanks to automated validation servers. There is some additional expense in development and testing, but that isn't large. There is some one-time expense in setting up the pricelist, but that is pretty small.

Phil

6. PhilBurton

PhilBurton Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Do the math on the "breakeven point" between purchase and a monthly subscription. For MS, the breakeven point is I think about 3 years. They release Office on a 3 year cadence.

For Adobe, the breakeven point is 15 months for a new purchase, or only 8 months for an upgrade. But LR has had major releases about every 2 years. What would you do?

Phil

7. tspear

tspear Senior Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.4 / CC 2015.4
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    For Office, effectively you always had to purchase the complete package.
    With Lr, you have a choice/option related to Ps. When you include Ps, the CC Photography bundle is pretty good. And the calculation is not that straight forward. Problem is, I think hobby guys like me do not use Ps.

Tim

8. PhilBurton

PhilBurton Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Tim,

In my particular case, I already own Photoshop 6. Since I use it very rarely I don't see the need for Photoshop CC. However either way it is still an economic decision for me for Lightroom. Same as it is for purchasing Office 2016 or using office 365.

I think it's the same for you, ignoring Photoshop CC.

Phil

9. tspear

tspear Senior Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.4 / CC 2015.4
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
  10. PhilBurton

PhilBurton Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
  11. mcasan

mcasan Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Lr and Cr both got a dot release for bug fixes and new camera support.

Lightroom CC 2015.10.1 now available
    The goal of this release is to provide additional camera raw support, lens profile support and address bugs that were introduced in previous releases of Lightroom.

Today, we also released versions of Lr for iOS and Android that provide updated camera support. Check them out here.

New Camera Support in Lightroom CC 2015.10.1 / 6.10.1

• Panasonic LUMIX DC-ZS70 (DC-TZ90,DC-TZ91, DC-TZ92, DC-T93)
    • Sony A9 (ILCE-9)
    New Lens Profile Support in Lightroom CC 2015.10.1 / 6.10.1

Mount Name
    Sony FE Zeiss Batis 2.8/135

Customer reported issues resolved

• Edit in Photoshop Erroneous Message Fixed
    • Fixed issue causing color cast on images from some Fujifilm X series cameras shot in CH/CL modes.
    • Fixed issue where images taken on the Fujifilm GFX 50s with top 3 extended ISOs appear over exposed.
    • Fixed issue where some images converted to DNG from the Hasselblad H6 contained a color cast.
    • Fixed issue with Hasselblad X1D images losing highlight details at high ISOs.
    Known Issues

• We have an issue where customers are unable to use the Develop module with GPU enabled. This only occurs when using an AMD graphics card using driver Version 17.4.4 (released 4/23/2017) on Windows. Please see this note for more details and workarounds.