Zenon

Did you turn it off and on again?
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System: OS 10.13.2
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Classic 7

I asked this before but I can't find the link. Watched some videos but I just want to make sure I get this right as I have never done this. We will be travelling so as instructed I created a temporary catalogue on my laptop HD. So now I have the original LC.lrcat and now Port.lrcat.

I get the part about import from another catalogue command. Before doing this my plan is to copy the entire Port folder which contains the Port.lrcat onto the iMac desktop and import from there? After the import and merge I just get rid of Port.lrcat or does it disappear?

I'll be storing all my files on a temporary external drive which is all set up and the folder is also called Port. That folder will eventually be stored on the permanent external drive for the iMac. I plan copy that folder from the temp external drive and place it under 2018 in the permanent ext HD. I set up my catalogue by year. Should I do this before I merge the two catalogues?

Is that about right?

The easiest method is probably to copy the temporary catalog to the EHD that contains the images. Then connect that drive to the iMac, start Lightroom on the iMac and choose 'File - Import from Another Catalog'. The dialog that follows after Lightroom has checked the catalog contains an option to copy the images to a new location during import, or can can leave them where they are and then do that later manually (in Lightroom!). You can copy them anywhere you want, so also inside that 2018 folder. After you're done you can delete the port.lrcat from the EHD and from the laptop. It doesn't get deleted automatically.

Copying the temporary catalogue to the EHD makes more sense of the videos I watched. They just described the 'File - Import from Another Catalog' command. Thanks for you help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back