One on one Lightroom Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duane Hemme

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I understand that both Victoria Bampton and Laura Shoe offer one on one Lightroom training. I'd like to know if anyone has taken advantage of this and how it went.

I've read books and watched videos but there's nothing like being able to ask questions as you are developing a photo. I use Lightroom for managing my photos and some tweaks after I use Capture one for the heavy lifting. I just can't seem to get Lightroom to process my photos as well as Capture one, I would like to use Lightroom for everything and need some expert help to see what I'm not doing correctly.

Welcome to the forum. While I'm sure both Laura and Victoria offer excellent 1:1 training, there are other resources that might work well in your community. Have you looked at local camera clubs? They frequently offer workshops (sometimes conducted by very knowledgable people) . In addition to this there are often special LR training through Community colleges and special schools. In my community (Houston), in addition to several camera clubs offering regular workshops, Lightroom classes are offered by the Houston Center for Photography and Houston Community College. You can also search online for Lightroom Workshops. These are about 1 week in length and often takes place in your city or near you and sometimes in exotic photographic locales.

there no better why to learn LR than one to one in the same room . Cletus made great comments about that

Another thought is a few local adverts to find those with LR near you who might be able to share experiences --- once I saw someone use the sync tools it made sense and later on I showed that some person something he didn't know .

You can also post questions on the forum

Yeah, local's a good idea. It depends on whether you're wanting to learn in a structured course type environment, which most local stuff is designed around, or whether you're looking for someone you can just ask lots of questions. Most of my live sessions are Q&A or troubleshooting, simply because it's far most cost-effective to do more general learning at a local level, or through video training.

Yeah, local's a good idea. It depends on whether you're wanting to learn in a structured course type environment, which most local stuff is designed around, or whether you're looking for someone you can just ask lots of questions. Most of my live sessions are Q&A or troubleshooting, simply because it's far most cost-effective to do more general learning at a local level, or through video training.
I'm concerned only with Develop Module, I'd like to be able to walk through a couple of photos to see how an expert would process them vs what I have done. For example when to use exposure vs shadows and whites to make the photo brighter. I know at the end it's a matter of taste but I'd like to see how someone else would approach them.

I do have your book and it has been very helpful and also have Laura Shoe's videos. But as I'm working on my photo's there always seems to be that time that you wish you could ask someone how this works or what combination is preferable.

Thank you very much for responding to my question.

plenty of those videos on the www Duane and they can be great to get you started ---- remember you cannot break anything by dragging sliders back and forth to see what happens --- there is no exact science to how much how each slider is used or not use, however it's often a case of 'a little can be lot'
I do have a few online videos book marked and I will post a few when I find the better for you
You are welcome to post a photo or two to be edited to give you ideas; that can help also until you learn to see the edited photo inside the original file

that was quicker than I expected www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYkcD-nhVDA

and a few more by googling "lightroom editing start to finish" --- these are just a couple
http://lightroomkillertips.com/flat-fabulous-start-finish-lightroom-editing-tutorial/
digital-photography-school.com/13-steps-for-editing-street-photography-in-lightroom-from-start-to-finish/

I have also learnt a lot from this lovely lady when I concentrate on LR and not her :eek:
Lightroom Tutorials by Julieanne Kost
She is also drives a camera very well --- I should revisit her to refresh a few thoughts
One tip: become best friends with the lightroom adjustment brush . That one tool can do so much for you but don't expect to become best friends over a weekend --- it's certainly a female; takes a while to understand properly :rolleyes:

Julieanne does great videos, and I would recommend her for general LR learning. I think that she does Adobe a great service with all of the LR videos that she has produced over the years.

Good luck,

--Ken

I'm sure Victoria could do good ones also ;)

Funnily enough, an editing video course is one of the two projects I'm working on at the moment...

For example when to use exposure vs shadows and whites to make the photo brighter.

If you don't want to wait until my upcoming videos are done (it'll be a few months at least, as they're still at outline stage at the moment), I rather like George Jardine's image correction videos. That kind of decision is the kind of thing they're focused on. The only downside is his photos are a bit too good and a bit too exotic to relate to the kind of photos most of us amateurs shoot, and he focuses a lot more on the technicalities, which is beyond some users.

I also really like George Jardine's approach. He teaches what the Lightroom controls actually do rather than a predetermined editing route. His approach is to look at an image, decide what it needs, and know what approach to take. As an analogy, he teaches how to cook, not follow recipes.

Dave

I also really like George Jardine's approach. He teaches what the Lightroom controls actually do rather than a predetermined editing route. His approach is to look at an image, decide what it needs, and know what approach to take. As an analogy, he teaches how to cook, not follow recipes.

Dave
And that's actually where the real skill lies, understanding what each control is capable of doing is one thing, but being able to view an image and "see" which controls are best to use is something else. I told him once that I found his Masterclass videos somewhat deflating because of that....

being able to view an image and "see" which controls are best to use is something else.

Yep. That's why it's taking me a while! I don't want anyone getting deflated!

when do you start with the ON1 videos Victoria :p
For what's worth: I prefer the shorter to the point lessons and often "fast forward" the longer ones which eat up my 20gb monthly data rather quickly

While we're on the subject then, do you prefer to download videos you've bought, or stream them?

While we're on the subject then, do you prefer to download videos you've bought, or stream them?
I prefer to download, I like having them on my iPad and being able to have them available if I don't have an internet connection. Just downloaded the ON1 trial, looks interesting.

..... I use Lightroom for managing my photos and some tweaks after I use Capture one for the heavy lifting. I just can't seem to get Lightroom to process my photos as well as Capture one, I would like to use Lightroom for everything and need some expert help to see what I'm not doing correctly.

While not exactly the same as teaching, one suggestion would be to post a link to a raw file that you say you having problems with, then a tiff of the same file processed in C1 that you like and want to reproduce. Some of the folks here could take a shot at it and show you the work flow and settings they used. It gets a little trickier if you have made some local adjustments in C1; you would need to tell us if you made any.
BTW, which version of C1 are you using. I used C1 in parallel with LR through C1 v7.

As another thought - I can take a photo, process it in LR to where I "like it", but then come back a few hours or days later, process it again to where I "like it" - and they are different. And this is before I make a number of final tweaks in Photoshop which really complicates trying to duplicate something. In other words, your eye and brain can fool you sometimes about what you really like at the time.

While not exactly the same as teaching, one suggestion would be to post a link to a raw file that you say you having problems with, then a tiff of the same file processed in C1 that you like and want to reproduce. Some of the folks here could take a shot at it and show you the work flow and settings they used. It gets a little trickier if you have made some local adjustments in C1; you would need to tell us if you made any.
BTW, which version of C1 are you using. I used C1 in parallel with LR through C1 v7.

As another thought - I can take a photo, process it in LR to where I "like it", but then come back a few hours or days later, process it again to where I "like it" - and they are different. And this is before I make a number of final tweaks in Photoshop which really complicates trying to duplicate something. In other words, your eye and brain can fool you sometimes about what you really like at the time.

How do I go about providing a link to a photo, can I just attach the photo to a post of is it done with a different process, sorry I don't post in Forums very often.

How do I go about providing a link to a photo, can I just attach the photo to a post of is it done with a different process, sorry I don't post in Forums very often.
For a raw file and a large tiff, I would recommend something like Dropbox. I use it all the time for exchanging large files. After the files are processed and compared, it is easy to post jpegs.

download? --- buy? --- that costs money!! :D
I know, so does the mortgage on my house. :( It's difficult to help Lightroom users while living on the streets though! :D :D

download? --- buy? --- that costs money!! :D

A lot of experts support this site and contribute substantial non chargeable time. However, if people develop products, development and support cost money, so it is unreasonable to expect to get such items for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back