1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

PRINT Print Even Margins

Discussion in 'Output Modules' started by gstrek, Feb 16, 2017.

1. gstrek

gstrek New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    4.x
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Is there a math formula that can determine what the margins should be set at to give an even border? I can print perfect borderless on 4x6 paper but would like a .25 inch border around all sides. I can come close with trial and error but it is a waste of ink and paper.

On Windows 7, the unprintable area is L .14 R .12 T .11 B .21
    On Mac, the unprintable area is L .13 R .13 T .12 B .20 (this agrees with what Canon documents)

I can come close on my Mac with a .20" border all around (gives about .25")
    I can come close on my Win with a .25" border for L, T, B and .23" on Right edge

Not sure why the unprintable area is different in LR on MAC versus PC.

Is there a way to calculate what I should use for the edge sizes that will work for different size papers and edges? I saw a vague reference that years ago someone came up with something but google couldn't come up with it!

Alternatively, I haven't tried it but wonder if I print borderless and give a white 18 point stroke border would give the results I am looking for. Anyone try this?

Thank you,
    --Gary

LR 4.x (most recent)
    Mac Sierra
    Windows 7
    Canon Pro9000 MarkII (most recent drivers for Mac and Win)

2. Ian.B

Ian.B Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    not the answer you want --- I found the best way was to send the file with the boarder to a good / pro lab for printing . I gave up with printing at home. Even if it's less expensive (often not) it's surely a lot more frustrating

Only guessing: IMO you need to add the white boarder / stroke to the file

3. gstrek

gstrek New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    4.x
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    I am not ready to give up on printing on my own printer but it can be frustrating if you want a border.

I did attempt a borderless print setting, however with a 18 point (.25") white stroke border. It was not an equal border on all sides so I am back to trial and error.

I don't want to send to a lab and I hope to not have to print to JPG and use the Canon print utility. There must be a logical, mathematical way to calculate border sizes that are the size I want!

4. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.9 / CC 2015.9
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    A couple of points to consider.
    1. Your printer has one non printable edge. Perhaps this is as small as 0.012" when setting margins this needs to be taken into consideration. that edge can not be less that that value
    2. when your printer grabs the sheet to be printed, there are variances possible on the left and right edges. This will preclude a perfect border alignment.
    In the print module, set the cell size aspect ratio to match that of the paper minus 2X the width of the desired border.
    If the paper is 8.5"X11" and you want a 1" border on all sides, then the cell size needs to be 6.5"X9" Note these two quotients are NOT necessarily the same Once you determine the cell size in inches, you MUST crop the image using the same aspect ratio of the CELL.
    Also in the print module, use Zoom to fill and Rotate to fit.

5. gstrek

gstrek New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    4.x
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    In my case, assume 4x6 inch paper with 1/2 inch border so I have cropped to 3.5 x 5.5 and create a cell of that size. Then set all 4 margins to .25 (L,R,T,B each at .25) and have zoom to fill, rotate to fit set on. On the layout screen in the print module, this looks good with even borders. Not sure if this will take into consideration the default unprintable areas.

If you see any errors in this setup, let me know. I won't try to print for a day or so in case there is any other feedback.

Thanks,
    -Gary

6. gstrek

gstrek New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    4.x
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Cletus,

I set up a print job per your suggestion with default margin as well as .25" margin and cell/crop at 3.5 x 5.5. Neither of these produced the desired even borders. The closest I have come is using a .20" margin on all sides (all of this on a Mac).

My choice is to mostly print 4 x 6 borderless (works great) or use a .2" margin. If printing on large paper, I will either go borderless or I will save the print as a JPG and print using the Canon utility or send out to a printing service so as not to waste ink and paper.

It would be great if Lightroom would do the calculations based on the printer paper profile as it knows what the minimum margins are and just give you the border you specify. At this point it is not WYSIWYG. What I see is not what I get as far as borders go.

--Gary

7. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.9 / CC 2015.9
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    This agrees with my example. LR will not let you set a margin less than the non printable ares so you Print settings are good. The only remaining variable is how the paper lines up in the print feed and there is not much you can do about that except to make sure the guides are tight against the edges of the paper.

8. gstrek

gstrek New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    4.x
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    I am paying close attention to the print guides and have them snug but not enough to bend the paper. I do have workarounds (via trial and error).

What is odd is that the same printer, paper and version of LR on my PC gives different default margin settings. This is with Windows 7 versus Mac OS Sierra - the printer driver (and ICC profiles) on the Mac are much more recent than on the PC so that may be why.