1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Printing when paper profile is not available

Discussion in 'Lightroom 1-6 for Windows & Mac (perpetual)' started by Bunsen, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Bunsen

Bunsen New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Lightroom Version:
    6.9 / CC 2015.9
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I want to print from Lightroom using Permajet Matt Plus 240 paper on my Epson SC-p400 printer. Everything I can find says to set the paper type to Epson Archival Matt to print on this paper. The paper profile is not available from Epson so I can't set lightroom to use this paper.

Any ideas how I can print on the Permajet paper on my Epson printer?

I have tried Epson support and there are " looking at the problem" but I'm not too confident of getting a solution

2. LouieSherwin

LouieSherwin Senior Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    Classic 7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    The manufacturer of this paper should have links on their website for the profiles that you want to use. They should also have instructions for how to set up the Epson print settings to use with that profile. Epson only has profiles for papers that they sell.

-louie

3. Bunsen

Bunsen New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Lightroom Version:
    6.9 / CC 2015.9
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the paper manufacturer only produces profiles for the sc-600 and above and not for my model. They sent me a crib sheet pointing to the Epsom equivalent papers which says I should use the profile for the Epson Archival Matt but Epson do not have this profile

4. Bunsen

Bunsen New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Lightroom Version:
    6.9 / CC 2015.9
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    i've just had a reply from Epson. They say they do not support Archival Matt Paper on the SC-P400 printer so all I can do is trial and error to find a profile that works OK. This is not the reply I expected from Epson. Looks like a custom ICC profile will be the way to go now.

5. PhilBurton

PhilBurton Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Epson is under no obligation to provide profiles for other manufacturers' papers. Indeed, they would be facilitating the sales of a competitor's products were they to do so. There are enough reputable paper manufacturers who do provide profiles for you to have a reasonable set of choices.

Phil

6. Bunsen

Bunsen New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Lightroom Version:
    6.9 / CC 2015.9
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Archival Matt is an Epson paper and easily purchased on line. Epson just don't seem to want to provide the profile for the 400 printer. They do , I believe, provide it for higher spec printers such as the SC-P600

7. LouieSherwin

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    Classic 7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Bunsen,

I just took a quick look at specs for the Sure Color P400. This is has a unique ink set including red and orange and a gloss optimizer which is very different from the more common four color (CMYK) SC-P600. Because of this I believe that you are going to have some difficulties printing unless you have a profile that is made for this specific printer/paper combination that you are using.

If you cannot find paper manufacturers that are supporting this printer then you are probably going to be limited to the Epson papers that are supported. Since the inkset includes a gloss optimizer it leads me to believe that it is primarily intended to print on gloss and luster papers.

It is unfortunate that Epson does not make these distinctions clear in their marketing. I thought that the P400 was just a smaller, cheaper P600 but that is not the case. This is similar to the previous 13" printers R1800 and 2400. The R1800 had the gloss optimizer.

-louie

8. Bunsen

Bunsen New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Lightroom Version:
    6.9 / CC 2015.9
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Epson have finally replied and said they do do provide ICC profiles for their papers on the P400 printer. It appears that Epson think a user who wants to use profiles etc has the money to buy the P600 where everything is available.
    I am going down the custom ICC profile route and after a lot of advice, the test prints are in the post today for custom profiling.

9. LouieSherwin

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    Classic 7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I just did a quick check of Canson and Red River and they both have profiles for the P400 for many of their papers. So I'm sure that there are more.

-louie

10. LouieSherwin

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    Classic 7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I'm curious, who did you choose to make your profiles?

-louie

11. Keith672885

Keith672885 New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.4 / CC 2015.4
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Use the profiling service from Permajet, free if you use their paper. Simply download the test pattern, follow the simple instructions and post the image, and the ICC profile will be emailed to you.