Purchased LR6 Standalone, but now shows as Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am only a casual Mac user ....but as this looks like a particularly sticky problem ....

Any chance there may be permission issues with files or folders ??
Any chance there are folders which have similar names in capitals and lowercase ....??

Someone more expert than me in this area may be able to suggest how to eliminate these scenarios.

I am only a casual Mac user ....but as this looks like a particularly sticky problem ....

Any chance there are folders which have similar names in capitals and lowercase ....??

Someone more expert than me in this area may be able to suggest how to eliminate these scenarios.
My friend who has the iMac as well, had LR5 which was upgraded to LR6 (standalone) at the same time as me and had absolutely no issues. Thats why I dont understand why Im having problems. Im willing to try anything. Im extremely greatful for all the assistance everyone here is giving me, even though it hasnt solved the problem.

I see. I thought that the updater failed at launch (and then this trick could have solved that), but it fails in the end. I'm afraid I'm out if ideas.

I can't see how any of that could cause this problem.

My friend who has the iMac as well, had LR5 which was upgraded to LR6 (standalone) at the same time as me and had absolutely no issues. Thats why I dont understand why Im having problems. Im willing to try anything. Im extremely greatful for all the assistance everyone here is giving me, even though it hasnt solved the problem.

It's a long shot, but you could copy the Lightroom application from his computer and place it in your applications folder...

It's a long shot, but you could copy the Lightroom application from his computer and place it in your applications folder...
Problem is his is the upgrade and mine is the full version....not sure if there is any difference. He updated his to 6.12 without any issues. Plus he is in another province. We dont have fibre, just normal 8mbps lines...rather slow.

Problem is his is the upgrade and mine is the full version....not sure if there is any difference. He updated his to 6.12 without any issues. Plus he is in another province. We dont have fibre, just normal 8mbps lines...rather slow.

I'm not talking about installers. Copy the full Lightroom application from his Applications folder (it's in a folder that is also called Lightroom). Place it in a temporary folder in the Applications folder of your computer and double click it to start it. If it works without issues, then you can use it to replace your regular Lightroom application.

I'm not talking about installers. Copy the full Lightroom application from his Applications folder (it's in a folder that is also called Lightroom). Place it in a temporary folder in the Applications folder of your computer and double click it to start it. If it works without issues, then you can use it to replace your regular Lightroom application.
That is an option but he would have to transfer 1.5GB over an 8mbps line. I have unlimited data but he doesnt. But I will bear that in mind and maybe get the file couriered to me. I will wait another day or two and them re-look at this option. Thanks Johan.

Maybe the Adobe guy already tried it, but otherwise there is one more thing you could try. If you have never used Lightroom before, you can download a trial version from the adobe site. I can't give you a direct link, because you have to leave your email address and then the link is mailed to you. The trial installer is not the 6.0 installer that you need to update yourself to 6.12, but a full 6.12 installer. After you've installed Lightroom this way, you (obviously) get a Lightroom CC2015.12 trial version, but with the link I gave earlier you can convert this trial version to a licensed 6.12 version. You may not even have to do this if the installer recognises your license information.

To make sure that you can always go back (even if it's to your not-up-to-date version) I would first rename the 'Lightroom' folder in your 'Applications' folder and also rename the 'Lightroom' application inside it, so that this won't get overwritten by the installation of the trial. If everything works, you can delete the renamed folder.

Maybe the Adobe guy already tried it, but otherwise there is one more thing you could try. If you have never used Lightroom before, you can download a trial version from the adobe site. I can't give you a direct link, because you have to leave your email address and then the link is mailed to you. The trial installer is not the 6.0 installer that you need to update yourself to 6.12, but a full 6.12 installer. After you've installed Lightroom this way, you (obviously) get a Lightroom CC2015.12 trial version, but with the link I gave earlier you can convert this trial version to a licensed 6.12 version. You may not even have to do this if the installer recognises your license information.

To make sure that you can always go back (even if it's to your not-up-to-date version) I would first rename the 'Lightroom' folder in your 'Applications' folder and also rename the 'Lightroom' application inside it, so that this won't get overwritten by the installation of the trial. If everything works, you can delete the renamed folder.
Thanks Johan, they havent tried that yet. What they did try was to download the Lightroom CC from the CC to then try and convert it to LR6, but then it wasnt available for my ID. Only the trial was available and its not what they wanted. Im just concerned that I make the problem worse when they are trying to figure out what to do. I will give them until the end of today, failing which I will try your option and give some feedback.

This is what I have done so far today:

1. I uninstalled and deleted everything on my computer that I could see was related to Adobe, including PSE15, LR6, AAM, AcrobatReader etc.
2. I rebooted my Mac 3 after using CleanMyMac to get rid of all the bits and pieces.
3. I downloaded LR6, plus the update 6.12, plus AAM
4. To test that there is nothing related to Adobe on my computer, I tried to install the LR6.12 update first. As I expected, it through out an error saying there is NO Adobe Application Manager and that I must download it first before I can install LR6.
5. I installed AAM
6. I then tried to install LR6.12 and it immediately said I had another AAM running which I must close it down and then continue. BUT there isnt another one running!

So what could be the real problem here?

I am not a Mac expert .... but is there a Start Up folder (or similar) and are there apps in the start up folder ... including maybe AAM ... but anything in there may be interesting to be aware of.

Another option is to create a new account on the Mac and see if you can install with the new account.

Another option is to create a new account on the Mac and see if you can install with the new account.
Im also not much of a Mac expert, I just go to the areas I need to. But at first it never found one open. The moment I install one and it gets used, it throws out the error that there is another open. Im trying Johans suggestion of installing the Trial and then try convert it to standalone, so I will see how that goes. I have such a hatred for Creative Cloud now. This all started because of the Creative Cloud functionality. Now it doesnt matter what I do, Im not getting anywhere. In the meantime Im sitting with 600 CR2 photos that LR6 cannot see without the update and I dont know what to tell my client without appearing inefficient.

I tried what Johan suggested....

Downloading the trial, but what it does, it automatically downloads a Lightroom Installer.dmg file which you have to double click on it and it automatically installs Creative Cloud. Bear in mind I have not installed LR6 on my Mac at all yet. Yet it shows this...see pic. Now Im really confused. If Lightroom CC is up to date, where is it and how do I access it?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 19.25.15.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 19.25.15.png
    239 KB · Views: 427
This is my CC display...
upload_2017-8-22_18-36-18.png

I can launch Lightroom from this CC app. I notice yours looks different.

So.
What happens if you click on the Lightroom panel. Does it open Lr or does it give you more options.

Also .... click on the photo icon and
1. Check if you are logged in and if not then log in and see what options might be available.
2. If you are logged in .. then log out and log in and check options again.
upload_2017-8-22_18-38-0.png

I tried what Johan suggested....

Downloading the trial, but what it does, it automatically downloads a Lightroom Installer.dmg file which you have to double click on it and it automatically installs Creative Cloud. Bear in mind I have not installed LR6 on my Mac at all yet. Yet it shows this...see pic. Now Im really confused. If Lightroom CC is up to date, where is it and how do I access it?

It's in your Application folder in a folder called Lightroom. Drag it into your Dock for easy access. Starting from the CC App will only work for as long as you have Lightroom CC2015 trial, but you now need to convert it to Lightroom 6.12 perpetual (with the link supplied earlier).

This is my CC display...
View attachment 9736

I can launch Lightroom from this CC app. I notice yours looks different.

So.
What happens if you click on the Lightroom panel. Does it open Lr or does it give you more options.

Also .... click on the photo icon and
1. Check if you are logged in and if not then log in and see what options might be available.
2. If you are logged in .. then log out and log in and check options again.
View attachment 9737
I did everything you suggested. This is what I get. If I click on it, absolutely nothing happens

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 08.47.00.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 08.47.00.png
    267 KB · Views: 423
It's in your Application folder in a folder called Lightroom. Drag it into your Dock for easy access. Starting from the CC App will only work for as long as you have Lightroom CC2015 trial, but you now need to convert it to Lightroom 6.12 perpetual (with the link supplied earlier).
Absolutely nothing in my app folder...see pic

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 08.49.57.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 08.49.57.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 415
Is there any possibility that my profile could be corrupt on Adobe? Just a thought, because I have taken everything Adobe off my machine (that is visible), used CleanMyMac3 to uninstall everything Adobe, and yet nothing LR is working the way it should.

That tiny screenshot does not show much. Did you rename the original Lightroom folder and Lightroom application as I suggested? I don't see that either.

Why happens when you click the 'Open' button behind Lightroom in the CC app? Can you show a screenshot of that app?

That tiny screenshot does not show much. Did you rename the original Lightroom folder and Lightroom application as I suggested? I don't see that either.

Why happens when you click the 'Open' button behind Lightroom in the CC app? Can you show a screenshot of that app?
Johan, if you click on the thumbnail, it should show the big picture.
There was no original Lightroom folder as I deleted absolutely everything that had anything to do with Adobe off my mac, so I started from scratch and loaded Lightroom CC (or so I thougjt), but it only installed Creative Cloud and shows LRCC is up to date, yet I dont even have it installed on my mac at this point.
There is no 'Open" anywhere that I can see. If I click on the little gear next to Lightroom CC, it just says "Manage Application" (greyed out) and "Uninstall"
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 08.47.00.png

Have you tried this? It may be a corrupt user profile on your Mac, instead of on Adobe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back