• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

remove originals but keep smart preview for viewing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reidthaler

Reid
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Is there a way to remove the original images from my phone, but keep smart preview for viewing and editing on my phone? Clearing cache frees up some space, but originals still take up alot.
Thanks,

Reid

Surprise I didn't get any response. Anyone?

I think a lot of us aren't using Mobile, and many that are do so use it for remote editing. Maybe the bump from these entries will attract some attention. Personally I tried it once on the phone for 10 minutes and never again; sorry I can't help.

I was excited by the arrival of mobile, but gave up on it for lots of reasons. As I do not actively use it anymore I am reluctant to respond to queries.

There is a setting in Cloud Storage & Sync called Only Download Smart Previews. If that doesn't work, then you could remove the image from the synched collections (and so from the phone) and after they are gone from the phone, you could add them again in Lightroom on the desktop. That will sync smart previews only.

I use the LR mobile to automatically sync my phone pictures to the cloud and LR desktop. Haven't tried to delete a picture from my phone after it was sync'ed with the cloud through LR Mobile. I might test it tonight and see what the result is.

Ok, I run this test on my android mobile:
  1. Took a picture with mobile camera
  2. Synced with LR mobile (autosync)
  3. Deleted picture from Images folder
  4. Checked and modified picture in LR web
  5. checked in LR mobile --> the photo was there, with the latest modifications.
Based on these, could we say that LR CC is a way to backup (mobile) photos?

Is there a way to remove the original images from my phone, but keep smart preview for viewing and editing on my phone?
If instead you are referring to the ability to download the pictures on the device for offline editing, then you tap on the three dots next to the collection and unselect the "offline editing". This should free up some more space.

In the end it comes to a trade-off between data bandwidth and storage space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back