1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Repair of corrupted catalogs

Discussion in 'Lightroom Installation & Performance' started by Tomiron, May 28, 2012.

1. PamElla

PamElla New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I too have a corrupt LR Catalogue from my desktop crashing. I've tried the SQLite, but now at the end of the process that I was VERY hopeful would be successful, is a huge body of lines reading "Error: near line 335733: Expression tree is too large (maximum depth 1000) (and the 334733 is only one of a gazillion lines with a different number.) Have I lost all hope at recovering this catalog? The file is not empty, and what was rebuilt is also about 792,112 kb, so there is data. Can anyone help? Thank you. I'm new here.

2. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
  3. PamElla

PamElla New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Oh Thank you SO much! Yes, I will upload it this morning! I truly appreciate it and will be forever grateful if it can be recovered.
    Just the catalog, or do you need preview files or anything?

4. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Got it Pam. I've forwarded it to the engineer, but it doesn't look promising here, so I think it's probably time to restore one of your backups. (I hope you had backups!!)

5. PamElla

PamElla New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    um.... no backups... that's why I'm frantic Otherwise I would've done that first.

6. Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Oh dear, so sorry to hear that. I guess you'll be paranoid about backups in future!

7. PamElla

PamElla New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    YES I am.... I have multiple drives and multiple catalogs. Some are individual, some are a part of a master. I don't know why, but it was a habit to always skip backups. Stupid, I know.... don't need scolding, (and you didn't) the thought of losing all of that work is punishment enough. And I know better, I have also lost whole drives --- one to dropping, the other to just malfunction. At least the actual image files are all backed up now. (and yes, DriveSavers recovered the broken one. The other one just started working again and was backed up immediately)

8. PamElla

PamElla New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Thank you so much! I do appreciate you forwarding it on and looking at it. I am definitely going to back up from now on, probably as I work. This is HORRIBLE. I'm just getting started as a new sole proprietor and I'm at a level of production I didn't expect. This is crashing and burning before I ever get started. Ugggh! Thank you again. I am so appreciative of your response.

9. Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Oh so sorry to hear that Pam. It's a stressful time for sure!

10. Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    In case it helps you get back on your feet, there are companies that can handle the raw processing for you, albeit at a cost.

11. Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Oh PamElla, I've just heard back from Paul. He said he saw your post on the Adobe Forums and has already sent you back a partially repaired catalog. He's not sure how much was lost, as it was badly corrupted, but it's a much better scenario than we hoped for.

12. PamElla

PamElla New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    It's fixed It's fixed It's fixed!!!!

13. PamElla

PamElla New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    So far I've only noticed a copy of an edited image was not recoverable. I've lost not much! I'm completely over the moon! Thank you Thank youthank you!!!!!

14. RikkFlohr

RikkFlohr Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru Adobe Representative

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Paul rocks! Glad he was able to get most of it restored.

15. PamElla

PamElla New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    YES he does! I'm afraid I ran into an individual who was quite the opposite of Paul, and was not helpful at all. (actually he was a jerk, and if he is a representative of Adobe, he is a very poor one.) I gave him that feedback! Thank you! this forum was way more friendly! Thank you!

16. Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Thank you, we do our best. We pride ourselves on always being friendly, even if we can't solve the problem (although sometimes don't come over in writing in quite the way we intended!).

The official Adobe forums get an awful lot of traffic, and sometimes in a rush to cover all posts, things are said without thinking. I've known Jim online a long time, and he's not a bad guy, but yes, he did dig himself into a hole this time. Isn't it always at the worst times, too?!

Anyway, make yourself at home, and hopefully we can help you avoid any further problems. I'm glad it all worked out ok in the end.

17. johnbeardy

johnbeardy Senior Member Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Having read the exchange, obviously things went on a spiral, but I do feel it's important to avoid mistaking direct questions for rudeness.

18. holgermischke

holgermischke New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.4 / CC 2015.4
    Does anyone have experience with rebuilding catalog files that weren't corrupt to begin with, but were accidentally deleted and the recovered and THAT actually hurt them? I've had no luck rebuilding these catalogs using SQLite in a couple of cases and it seems when you recover a deleted catalog file, it doesn't have the original data. Can anyone confirm that?

19. Jim Wilde

Jim Wilde Lightroom Guru Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.9 / CC 2015.9
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I think the only person who might be able to confirm this would be Victoria's contact at Adobe (and Victoria's away at the moment so unlikely to be able to ask him), though from my own experience of such issues I can't recall a catalog being restored successfully after being recovered by a file recovery utility. Some of the other long-standing members here might have a different recollection.

20. holgermischke

holgermischke New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.4 / CC 2015.4
    Hi Jim. Thanks for the quick response. That's exactly what i thought. When i tried rebuilding, it wouldn't even let me open the database in a database viewer. The viewer always asked for a password as it considered the file to be encrypted. I also asked on Stackoverflow and people much more experienced with SQL databases said that a recovery utility would only produce a file full of "garbage data" and it just would not contain the original data. Just what you said. Thanks for confirming so i won't waste more time with those recovered catalogs.

21. johnbeardy

johnbeardy Senior Member Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Normally, Holger, one would not expect the LR database to be password protected. FYI.

22. holgermischke

holgermischke New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.4 / CC 2015.4
    John, it's not that the Lightroom database is password protected. It's what the recover utility does with the database during the process what makes the database viewer "think" it would be encrypted and password protected. FYI.