1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Roll Call - Those using Lightroom to manage scanned photos

Discussion in 'Workflow Discussion' started by NJHeart2Heart, May 9, 2017.

1. Roelof Moorlag

Roelof Moorlag Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I did my homework :)

I have not tried myself but Peter Krogh adviced to use color compensation (CC) filters: link. Perhaps worth trying?

2. davidedric

davidedric Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I have the 5000ED, and I thought I was cornered when I went to 64-bit Windows because Nikon never produced the drivers. Fortunately, Vuescan scan works just fine. Just in case anyone has the same issue.

Dave

3. Klaas

Klaas New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    I'm too in the business of scanning old photographs (paper, negatives, Kodachrome, Agfachrome and others). I got a Nikon Coolscan V ED and it works fine. Software: Nikon Scan 4.03 Vista for Kodachrome und Vuescan for all the other brands. My PC runs with MS Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

With Nikon Scan I choose Kodachrome, but the scans show too much blue, I'm afraid. So I changed the gradadation of blue a bit and now I'm very satisfied with the results.

Vuescan was calibrated for Ektachrome. The colors are sufficient for Agfachrome too. For calibration I used a IT8.7-Target from Wolf Faust. But as already mentioned, very old pictures (Agfachrome) show very often very little color. Vuescan does for theese pictures a great job. Vuescan brings colors back, which I can't see on the original.

Klaas

4. Anthony.Ralph

Anthony.Ralph Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.4 / CC 2015.4
    +1 for the IT8.7-Target from Wolf Faust

Anthony.

5. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Lightroom Version:
    Hi Rob 211,
    Thanks for mentioning your name tag process, though I'm curious how you use keywords to indicate relative completion of name tags on a photo.
    For me, the color labels are easiest to apply on the fly while I'm reviewing. I apply my names, than a quick press of 6-8 and on to the next photo. I think with keywords, I'm afraid I'd forget to remove one keyword once a photo moves to another stage of completion. Although, as mentioned when I finish the naming process I do add a keyword to all photos which have complete (or at least as complete as needed) name tags.

6. Klaas

Klaas New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    I don't change the file names used by the camera, I can't see any reason for it. For scanned pictures I name them with 001, 002 and so on.
    I created some general folders like abstract, events, persons, locations and so on. Within these folders are subfolders. For instance within events I use folders for each journey. My name convention YYYY-MM Location (1998-07 London).

Best regards
    Klaas

7. Roelof Moorlag

Roelof Moorlag Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    And what do you do with a photo of a certain person on a certain event on a certain location? Duplicate it and put it in all associated folders?
    I would use collections or (hierachical) Keywords for this and just let Lightroom place the image files on the standard date based location.

8. Klaas

Klaas New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    You should have priorities :) And naturly no duplicates. The reason: You haven't always Lightroom available, for instance streaming from a NAS (network attached storage device) to a beamer. In that case you only can follow the folder structure.
    Keyword are set additionally, so that I can find a person whereever the picture is.

Best regards
    Klaas

9. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Peter Krogh's new book on the subject is available now. I received a review copy this afternoon, and from a quick glance, it looks as comprehensive as I'd expect from Peter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk