1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking photo captioning overlay software

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cuzzinbrucie, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Cuzzinbrucie

Cuzzinbrucie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    The LR Print function has a rudimentary method of placing metadata field content on the border of a photo. I need something more robust. I am looking for recommendations for software that will allow me to overlay a translucent background/bubble on the photo and then overlay the background with the caption itself.

1) Caption content can be derived from one or more populated metadata fields or entered from scratch.
    2) Ability to vary caption size, font, and color.
    3) Ability to vary caption background location, shape, color, and transparency.

Thank you.

2. I-See-Light

I-See-Light Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    You have the CC subscription, so I presume you have Photoshop.
    You can do magic overlays with Photoshop, so you have all the software you need!

1. From Lightroom- Select your 'Background' photo and the "Bubble" image, then "Edit in Photoshop as Layers"
    2. In Photoshop-Resize & locate the 'Bubble" to suit with {Free Transform CTRL+T}
    3. In Photoshop- {Menu > File Info} Select (highlight) the Metadata you want and CTRL+C to copy it to the clip-board
    4. Open the 'Text' tool 'T', drag a text box, CTRL+V to paste the metadata info into the box.

My Image is four parts-
    a) Horse is the Photo,
    b) Film is the 'Bubble' image (PNG with transparency),
    c) Free-hand 'Text' layer within the 'bubble' - type anything, apply Blending options for effects 'fx'
    d) 'Text' Layer containing Keywords, copied from the File Info. (Use fx again if wanted)

ScreenShot078.jpg ScreenShot079.jpg

3. Cuzzinbrucie

Cuzzinbrucie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I-See-Light: I haven't tried your suggestion yet as it didn't appear to match what I had in mind. I realize my specs were rather vague. Attached is an example of what I'm looking for. Notice the translucent oval background behind the caption itself. The image is a photograph of a frame from a Google Picasa slideshow.

Attached Files:

4. I-See-Light

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    The layers in Photoshop are incredibly adaptable to whatever you want.
    The 'oval translucent background' can simply be a layer with a paint filled marquee selection, or a brush stroke, etc, etc, and set to low opacity.
    You can have any number of text layers with all font and style options.
    One of those text layers can contain the Photo Info (Filename, Keywords, date etc, etc) simply copied and pasted.

So your method steps would be-
    1. From Lightroom open the photo in Photoshop {"Edit In" from Lightroom} [ Ctrl+e ]
    2. Press [Shift+Ctrl+N] for a new translucent layer- name it "Text Frame"
    3. Draw the text background frame with any tools available, a Brush, or a marquee selection and Bucket fill. Shape Tool is great for this. Lower the Opacity of this layer.
    4. Select- Menu > File > File Info. or [Alt+Shift+Ctrl+i ] Select and copy [Ctrl+c] the metadata you want on the photo-
    5. Press [ t ] for the text tool and paste [ Ctrl+v ] the file info, set font, size, position, etc
    6. 'Save' the layered file. (You may have to Synchronize the folder in Lr to see the new image beside the original)
    ScreenShot089.jpg ScreenShot090.jpg

5. Jim Wilde

Jim Wilde Lightroom Guru Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.9 / CC 2015.9
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    The LR/Mogrify2 plug-in allows something similar to be applied during export, and allows some of the metadata tokens to be used as a text overlay (or type your own). The only thing it can't do is the bubble effect, as in reality it adds a border (internal or external) which has an opacity slider, which means it's the full width (or height) of the image:

20150606_JW5D7248.jpg

6. Cuzzinbrucie

Cuzzinbrucie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Please forgive my stubborn resistance to learning PS. Having retired from 35 years as a software programmer/analyst I no longer have an interest in learning new software if I can find a turnkey method of accomplishing something. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to give me a step by step approach. By way of thanking you I will follow your steps just to see how it works. :)

7. Cuzzinbrucie

Cuzzinbrucie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Gonna add this plugin right away and try it. I only mentioned wanting bubble effect is because the example I had used it. The opacity slider will certainly suffice for my needs. Thanks.

8. I-See-Light

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Yeah Brucie- Photoshop is a monster! lots to learn, and I read many Lr users like Mogrify.
    So I hope you can get the design you would like from whatever you use.
    I have used Ps for many years but still only know 5%, but 'Old Dogs' (like me) can still learn a few tricks. :)