Two computer workflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickboden

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi all, looking for suggestions for a particular workflow. I have two Macs in separate rooms, on the same WiFi but probably not convenient to connect via Gigabit cable.

All my photos are on the main computer but I would like to offload collections of images to the other computer to have another person do some editing and keywording and then bring the edits back to my main machine.

I understand that I would not have to actually transfer the images back, just merge the catalog file. My workflow as I see it is to put the images on a drive, import them into the second computer, make the edits and bring back the catalog file on a flash drive to merge with the original catalog file. I haven't tried this but don't see it as difficult but perhaps there is a more efficient way. Thanks for any suggestions.

This is probably the most efficient way. You can do the "Import from another catalog" function across the WiFi Network. However you will be limited to WiFi speeds. A Portable Drive with the catalog on it is faster, even at USB2 speeds. My solution for my travel catalog has been to use a TB2 connected EHD. It is blazingly fast. Much faster that USB3,

FWIW, I tried the WiFi transfer before I settled on the EHD. My first EHD was USB2, I have since moved to a TB2 EHD.

The details matter. If that second person were to write keywords into the image files (using Lr, or any other compatible application) then a simple use of the "Synchronize..." command would bring in the changes without a need to pass around a catalog at all. Ditto for most other metadata. And you can use smart previews on a portable drive in order to view and edit on the other machine.

If just keywords, consider using the web interface. Then it can sync all day and never have issues.

Thanks for the replies! There would be cropping and general editing in addition to keywording.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back