• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Upgrade time, 2 in 1 (X1 Yoga) or notebook (ZenBooks Pro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
I think its time. I'd like the convenience of a tablet. Lightroom is about the only real critical thing I'd do on it. I doubt any tablet will fill the bill for lightroom use. I started looking the 2 in 1 Lenovo X1 yoga. Reviews say its fast, powerful, light and convenient, but the picture quality is in question. But I think those are before its new OLED screen. Then there is the ZenBooks pro. I like everything about this but it's bulky 5lb weight.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these?
I know I'm not the first one to cross this bridge. How have others handled this?

I'm not an apple fan, so thats not an option....

I think its time. I'd like the convenience of a tablet. Lightroom is about the only real critical thing I'd do on it. I doubt any tablet will fill the bill for lightroom use. I started looking the 2 in 1 Lenovo X1 yoga. Reviews say its fast, powerful, light and convenient, but the picture quality is in question. But I think those are before its new OLED screen. Then there is the ZenBooks pro. I like everything about this but it's bulky 5lb weight.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these?
I know I'm not the first one to cross this bridge. How have others handled this?

I'm not an apple fan, so thats not an option....
How about a Lenovo P50 mobile workstation for Lightroom and an iPad for tablet work?

Phil

Here are two recent discussions:
http://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/best-laptop-for-lr-ps-for-tether-capture.28358
http://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/microsoft-surface-pro.27410

Since then, I managed to get my hands on a Maxed out Surface Pro 4 for a couple of weeks. Lr worked really well, was reasonably fast. Downside was the screen was a little problematic for me to do much develop on; I still need the whole right panel visible because I do not know the keyboard shortcuts for a lot of stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a Lenovo P50 mobile workstation for Lightroom ?

Phil
Wow, that p50 workstation is a beast. I quickly got over $3k wishing/customizing it. That's a bit too much for me.
an iPad for tablet work?

Phil
I'm not a fan of apple products. I did consider switching, but I just can't see their value when compare to windows based machines. I know they have a loyal following. It's just not for me.

Wow, that p50 workstation is a beast. I quickly got over $3k wishing/customizing it. That's a bit too much for me.

I'm not a fan of apple products. I did consider switching, but I just can't see their value when compare to windows based machines. I know they have a loyal following. It's just not for me.
My house has been Windows users since Win 2.0 on 286 systems. All our systems now run Windows 10. However, my wife and I each have an iPhone and an iPad. Tablets and phones are different from desktops and laptops.

If the P50 is too rich for you consider a Lenovo T460 or T560. You can save money by installing a third-party SSD after you get the system from Lenovo.

Phil

My house has been Windows users since Win 2.0 on 286 systems. All our systems now run Windows 10. However, my wife and I each have an iPhone and an iPad. Tablets and phones are different from desktops and laptops.

If the P50 is too rich for you consider a Lenovo T460 or T560. You can save money by installing a third-party SSD after you get the system from Lenovo.

Phil
I haven't been able to get my eye off the P50. I like so many things about. I just don't care for the offset keyboard and mouse pad. The dang 10 key number pad screws the whole balance up. The Dell Precision 5520 has caught my eye as well. It has a centered keyboard with a nice screen. Although it lacks the drive and ram capacities.

I'm hoping the P50's will get a new model year update soon. I'd like to see them add the new Xeon v6 before I make my decision.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back