• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Upgrading from LR 6.0 with OS X El Capitan v 10.11.6 on an early 2009 Mac Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

John T

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Having read several threads expressing difficulties with upgrading, I am looking for some definitive advice please.

I need to upgrade from 6.0 since I need to edit my Metadata presets (which 6.0 won't let you do for some reason).

I have tried downloading the LR 6.6.1 setup.dmg file but that throws this error:
Lightroom CC / 6 – July 2016 Update. Update is not applicable. Error Code: U44M2P28

The LR 6.1.1 upgrade throws a similar error.

Can anyone give me a foolproof pathway to upgrading to whatever is the most recent version that my set-up can run please?

SAME PROBLEM as before :(
Lightroom CC (2015.8) / 6.8
Update is not applicable. Error Code: U44M2P28

Sounds like you're trying the updaters. Why don't you uninstall Lightroom and then run the full Lr 6.8 installer at once?

Although I've gone through the update installation process twice now, my System Info still indicates I am running Lightroom 6.0. I need to be at 6.8 so that I can upgrade my Mac OS (from El Capitan).

I initially checked for updates in my standalone version of Lightroom 6.0 and was told my app was current. System info indicated I was running 6.0, so I knew there were updates to be applied.

I tried downloading and installing the 6.8 update file and received an error that "update is not applicable".

I then downloaded the 6.0 installation file, ran through that successfully, checked for updates, the app found v6.8, and it appeared to successfully install it, but again the System Info says I am running 6.0.

I then downloaded just the 6.8 update (not through the app). It appeared to install correctly, but System Info says I am still running 6.0

The performance on my Mac is horrendous since going to El Capitan and I really want to move to Sierra, but have read that Lightroom must be at 6.7 or higher to work with Sierra.

Help!

Terrie,

Sometimes the version of LR in the Mac dock doesn't get updated when Lightroom does. You might want to check in the folder that Macs keep their apps in to see if LR 6.8 is there.

There is no 'version of Lightroom in the dock'. The Lightroom icon in the dock is just a link to the application. Like a Windows shortcut. You will have to check your Applications folder to see if perhaps you do indeed have two versions of Lightroom, one that was updated and one that wasn't.

Johan,
That's what I meant. The pointer to LR in the dock perhaps wasn't updated to point to the newly created version of LR. This used to happen with some regularity to Mac users, and they'd come to the forums claiming that updating the app didn't take effect.

I remember such events, Hal, but wasn't that during a complete version change which resulted in a separate program being installed, so it would certainly have been possible for a user to have one dock icon still pointing to LR5 after installing LR6. But with "dot upgrades" there is no separate executable, so the correctly setup LR6 dock icon will always point to the one LR6 program, no matter which version of it is installed.

Johan,
That's what I meant. The pointer to LR in the dock perhaps wasn't updated to point to the newly created version of LR. This used to happen with some regularity to Mac users, and they'd come to the forums claiming that updating the app didn't take effect.

My point(er) was that the real problem is elsewhere. The pointer in the dock can only not been updated if there are two versions of Lightroom 6 (and there shouldn't be). So the problem is not the dock, the problem is that there are two versions of Lightroom. This might happen if somebody renames the copy of Lightroom. Initially, the updater can't find the original copy, so they get an error. They try to solve this by running the installer again, which installs a second version of Lightroom. That second version then gets updated, the original version won't be updated (and the dock icon still points to that one).

You're both right. I find myself mystified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back