• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Using a USB hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordo

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
4.x
Because of a very limited work area, I would like to use a USB hub. At least that is what I think it is called.
I have two external hard drives I use for lightroom. Is there or could there be an issue with speed, reliability, etc when using one?
Will the same letter be assigned to each EHD as has with using two USB ports?

Gordo

Because of a very limited work area, I would like to use a USB hub. At least that is what I think it is called.
I have two external hard drives I use for lightroom. Is there or could there be an issue with speed, reliability, etc when using one?
Will the same letter be assigned to each EHD as has with using two USB ports?

Gordo
Gordo,

Be sure to get a USB 3 powered hub. That will give you maximum performance potential. Does your system not have enough USB ports?

Phil

Gordo,

Be sure to get a USB 3 powered hub. That will give you maximum performance potential. Does your system not have enough USB ports?

Phil
Phil
I have several USB ports. My problem is my work space is very small. There is not enough room for cords/cables to be lying on work surface.
The USB hub would help reduce cords lying around and out of my way.
I might ask, Can you buy USB cables that are really flexible? The ones I have are too stiff.

It's a good idea to assign a drive letter to each disk yourself. Even without a hub the drive letters can sometimes change for no apparent reason.

Phil
I have several USB ports. My problem is my work space is very small. There is not enough room for cords/cables to be lying on work surface.
I might ask, Can you buy USB cables that are really flexible? The ones I have are too stiff.
Gordo, Try either Amazon or www.newegg.com. The latter is my favorite. I have never heard of USB cables that are "too stiff."

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil
Gordo,

How tight a bending radius are your current cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back