When hard drive with LR 5 or LR 6 catalog is full what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Cicchine

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hope someone can help.

I am about to finally upgrade to LR 6. I have a 4 TB G Tech external hard drive where my LR Catalog is stored. My photos are stored on 2 other G Tech external hard drives. I may purchase a 10 TB drive when my 4 TB G Tech Catalog hard drive is almost full but I heard that on a Mac in Disk Utility I can make a hard drive's capacity larger by using what is called a "Concatenated" setup linking more then one drive into several drives set up to be one. I heard I can do that with my Time Machine back up drives but can I put together several drives to make one big Catalog drive? I prefer to do this because I do not want to start another LR catalog whenever my LR Catalog hard drive is filled. Please know also that I plan to finally upgrade to High Sierra in about a month too. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You all very much.

John

Finally what about the DNG matter? When I import should I choose Copy or Copy as DNG?
Lots of argument pro and con DNG (do a search on this forum) but in the 'free space' discussion it wil hardly play any roll

John, I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I'm not going to waste any more time on this. I explained clearly that your catalog and previews aren't the problem. If this disk fills faster than you thought, then that's because it does not only contain the catalog and previews and backups of those catalogs, but also other stuff like images. Move these to another disk if and when the time comes. Right now, you have 80% free space, so there is really nothing to worry about. If you drive your car, do you also stop at every single gas station you pass on the way, just to make sure that you won't run out of gas? Or do you use the gauge to decide when you need to fill it up again? It's always good to keep an eye on things, but this is over the top. Let it go, and start shooting some pictures instead!

That is a never ending discussion, and I have no desire to start it all over again. Search this forum about converting to DNG and you'll find lots of argument in favour and against converting to DNG.

Hi Johan,
Not a problem at all. I understand your point and I appreciate your patience. In the meantime I will just continue to monitor things on my Catalog hard drive and take it from there. As for the DNG matter I will do as you say and I have in fact began already online and from the little I have found so far there does in fact seem to be quite a bit of Pro and Con discussions about it. For now I will put this matter to rest. But I hope you will not mind it if I ask your advice on other matters in the future.
Thank You once again Johan.

John

John, feel free to ask me anything if you have a problem. I'm always willing to try to help. But it has to be a realistic issue, not something that may or may not happen ten years from now.

John, feel free to ask me anything if you have a problem. I'm always willing to try to help. But it has to be a realistic issue, not something that may or may not happen ten years from now.

Hi Johan,
Yes I see your point. As always I truly appreciate your help and I will for sure be seeking your advice in the future. It's good knowing that I can. Chat with you soon my friend.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back