Which Intel Xeon

Status
Not open for further replies.

kultus

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi guys, I need some advance. I use to edit my 20Mpx RAWs in Lightroom 6 (latest build) on laptop with i5 2430M 2x2.4GHz + 8GB RAM + 256GB SSD + GTX560M. Its quite OK (except panoramas and HDR) but last 2 years I was trying to save some money for >$1000 desktop or laptop without any luck.

Now I bought older workstation from our company for around $180 with Intel Xeon W3530 4x2.8GHz + 8GB RAM + 160GB HDD + FX1800, but I m already looking after more powerfull model for up to $50. The best choices for LGA1366 are: X5670 6x2.93GHz or X5677 4x3.46GHz for similar money and here is the problem. Which one to pick, six-core at lower speed or quadcore at higher speed? Acc.to this test it has sense to buy something up to six cores, but faster quadcore can theoretically balance less lower clocked cores.

Adobe Lightroom CC/6 Multi Core Performance

In addition it will be also light-gaming machine with 1050Ti (RX570) so I have to look also for gaming performance, but these Xeon shouldnt be bottleneck for this purpose. Many thanks for any thoughts.

Hi guys, I need some advance. I use to edit my 20Mpx RAWs in Lightroom 6 (latest build) on laptop with i5 2430M 2x2.4GHz + 8GB RAM + 256GB SSD + GTX560M. Its quite OK (except panoramas and HDR) but last 2 years I was trying to save some money for >$1000 desktop or laptop without any luck.

Now I bought older workstation from our company for around $180 with Intel Xeon W3530 4x2.8GHz + 8GB RAM + 160GB HDD + FX1800, but I m already looking after more powerfull model for up to $50. The best choices for LGA1366 are: X5670 6x2.93GHz or X5677 4x3.46GHz for similar money and here is the problem. Which one to pick, six-core at lower speed or quadcore at higher speed? Acc.to this test it has sense to buy something up to six cores, but faster quadcore can theoretically balance less lower clocked cores.

Adobe Lightroom CC/6 Multi Core Performance

In addition it will be also light-gaming machine with 1050Ti (RX570) so I have to look also for gaming performance, but these Xeon shouldnt be bottleneck for this purpose. Many thanks for any thoughts.
Suggestion: Put your money into an 128 or 256 GB SSD and a much bigger HDD, and another 8 GB RAM.

THX for reply, on my current dualcore laptop, I have problems with processing times of panoramas and HDR (or their combination) and also with time to 100% zoom in/out photo preview or applying changes in develope mode which arent instant but there is some little lag. I have no problem to start export and have a coffee ;) I have 256GB SSD in my laptop so its not the limiting factor, nor 8GB RAM which are sufficient (I wantched it during working in LR6 in performance resources). The plan is to move SSD to new WKS or to buy another one. I thought that quadcore or sixcore can make reactions much faster. I know its not in pair with todays modern desktops based on i5/i7 with clocks around 4-4.5GHz, but still it will be better that my current laptop coz I dont have $1000 for new machine. With some good deal I will buy some used 4GB DD3 RAM as addition to current 2x4GB to complete triplechannel, later. What do you think about my expectations? Seems they real or...? :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back