1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

PRINT White doesn't come out white in prints

Discussion in 'Output Modules' started by David PZ Wong, Aug 11, 2017.

1. David PZ Wong

David PZ Wong New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Lightroom Version:
    I am not sure if this question fits anywhere on this forum, but it has to do with printing. I've been ordering prints from ProDPI from the Print module of my LR, and in general the results have been very good. The only thing is that white walls or white objects that look white on the monitor often come back looking darker or muddier, not white at all. I just wonder if any of you have encountered such an issue in your own printing experience, whether with a lab or your own printer.

2. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    You need to calibrate your monitor. Preferably using a colorimeter like iDisplayPro or a Spyder Probably the luminance is set to high making white look white but also some yellows, light reds, light greens and/or light blues. When you printer makes a print they use calibrated equipment.

3. David PZ Wong

David PZ Wong New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Lightroom Version:
    Cletus, you might be right. I set the Luminous level at 120, which is what the lab base their calibrations on. Anyway, all other colors look good. I am going to lower the brightness of the monitor to see if the whites shown would match the "whites" in the prints better. I suspect white might have orange and yellow in it that the eye can't easily detect on the screen. I just tried lowering the saturation of the white in an image and noticed the decease in orange and yellow. The image now looks pale white and that might print just right. Thanks.

4. Conrad Chavez

Conrad Chavez Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    You've mentioned how the white looks on screen, but what is it actually? When you're in the Lightroom Develop module, position the pointer over an area that should be white, and look at the RGB numbers under the histogram. What are some of the typical numbers you have for white? I'm just wondering if the numbers will show that the white in the image is darker or less neutral than it looks.

One other experiment worth trying: In the Lightroom Develop module, right-click the background behind the image and choose White. Does the white in the image still look white, or does it look more like the darker white in the prints?

I've chosen to set my Lightroom window background to Light Gray, because when I left it set to a darker gray or black, I perceived images to be lighter than they really were. This is one reason the Soft Proof feature defaults to a white background: If you're proofing for print, you need to see the image against white.

5. David PZ Wong

David PZ Wong New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Lightroom Version:
    Conrad, thanks for the suggestions. I've been using black background to look at the images most of the time. Changing it to white does affect the perception, especially when you look at light colors. After seeing the image against white and then looking at the print in bright daylight, the difference becomes acceptable. After all, monitor images will always look different from print images. I think that most prints work out fine, but there will always be some that are more challenging or difficult to deal with. Sometimes I think it's better to accept the result than spending a lot of time trying to get a more perfect match.