• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Workflow for resizing and resampling images

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob211

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I may have missed it, but it doesn't seem that Lr has much in the way of controls for exporting images that you want to scale UP and resample. Photoshop does, of course. But since I have a batch of small JPEGs and TIFFs I wanna resize, I'd be starting from Lr. And I'd need the resized images back in Lr with the smaller originals.

I would guess someone else has been down this route. Any tips? And aside from workflow, what about tips on the resizing, developing process. Some of the images, even though JPEG, have been adjusted, and cropped. I dunno if there's much value in undoing any of that; I would think if software is gonna invent pixels it should start from the adjusted image, but I haven't done this often enough to know.

I would be inclined to do a test and see what the results are like ..... using the standard Lr export options.
Making sure to.

1. Reimport ("Add to This Catalog) the exported images (and I suggest putting into a sub folder)
2. Leave the Dont Enlage option blank.
3. Set the resize options to suit in terms of width/height.

You can compare results to what you might get from Ps. The advantage of ther Export from Lr is that your develop settings are applied.
upload_2017-2-18_16-33-51.png

It is a kind of negative way of doing things. Don't Enlarge means do not enlarge. If this box is selected the photo is resized smaller if required to fit to the size specified, but it will be kept at native pixel size if the source photo is smaller than the specified size rather than making it bigger.

Why don't enlarge? I AM enlarging. I thought "enlarge" was Lightroomese for resampling, or preventing you from resampling.
Resizing is always resampling. The name of this section is "Image Sizing" Most of the time the desired resample direction is to downsize. Hence the option to prevent upsampling with the check box checked. You want to upsample. So, as Gnits indicates you want to leave the box unchecked.

Resizing is always resampling. The name of this section is "Image Sizing" Most of the time the desired resample direction is to downsize. Hence the option to prevent upsampling with the check box checked. You want to upsample. So, as Gnits indicates you want to leave the box unchecked.
Aargh. They coulda said that. In any case, Ps seems to produce better results. So does Graphic Converter. And both give you much more control over the output. On1 has a plugin, but it also isn't as good as Ps.

So no go for Lr.

And sorry, should have said upsample.

Aargh. They coulda said that. In any case, Ps seems to produce better results. So does Graphic Converter. And both give you much more control over the output. On1 has a plugin, but it also isn't as good as Ps.

So no go for Lr.

And sorry, should have said upsample.
Lightroom uses a Bicubic resampling method and LR picks the method, you get no choice. PSCC also uses a Bicubic resampling method but you get some choices for the method used.
On1 uses a resizing algorithm based upon Genuine Fractals. It is available in PhotoRAW and Photo10. The LR/PSCC Plugin may be a depreciated older version of Perfect Resize. The Fractal based algorithm is really the best method for upsizing and should give you better results than LR or PSCC

Resizing and resampling images in Lightroom uses the same algorithms as Photoshop.
If one uses Photoshop I would recommend using Bicubic automatic anyway and let the algorithm itself do the analysis and decide what to do.
Bicubic automatic is exactly what Lightroom offers.

Output sharpening is an important part of getting usable images after resampling. Lightroom uses very complex algorithms that, again, are automated. These algorithms are based on Photokit Sharpener II developed by Bruce Fraser et al and the whole point of these algorithms are that they are context sensitive.
What this means is that output size (relative to native), output destination (print, electronic display), and capture sharpening are all taken into account. Incidentally these algorithms are also incorporated into Photoshop.

Do not be fooled into thinking that the automation offered in Lightroom to control this process equates to a simple unsophisticated process. Photoshop just gives you more rope to hang yourself but does not produce a superior result if you happen to select all the options correctly.

Obviously, the more pixels one has to play with in the original image the better...

Tony Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back